OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: The Squealing Hen  (Read 5916 times)

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
The Squealing Hen
« on: May 08, 2019, 09:57:36 AM »
I am currently reading Gene Nunnery's second book I Will Lift Mine Eyes Unto The Hills and on page 110 he talks about a call that another hunter was using and then witnessing a hen making the same sound as she was being stood on, along with a gobbler charging in to knock the potential breeder off and engaged in a fight.  I thought it was funny as this book was written in the 1980's I believe and it was only a few years ago we had the "Squealing Hen" call on the market.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: The Squealing Hen
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 10:12:57 AM »
Where did you get the book and was it a decent price? I want to read this one more than Old Pro Turkey Hunter but all the prices I see are outrageous. Thanks.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 11:01:02 AM »
In  Col. Tom Kelly's "10th legion" he talks about people who would tell him of secret calls turkeys would make (none of the people would ever demonstrate these calls for him)

He mentions that one of the secret calls was a noise a hen would make as she was being bred

Offline yelpy

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 11:06:41 AM »
Interesting stuff. Good to know the hen makes squealing noises when being bread. I'd like to hear that first hand. Just one more natural call for spring hunting.

I have been going through some Lovett Williams CD's and he hasn't mentioned of it yet in the couple I been listening to. Great CD's by the way. If you dont have them I'd recommend them.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 11:11:32 AM »
Where did you get the book and was it a decent price? I want to read this one more than The Old Pro Turkey Hunter but all the prices I see are outrageous. Thanks.
IMO not to take anything away from the book, but I was dying to read it so as soon as I found a copy I jumped on the opportunity and I am finding it to not be as good as the Old Pro Turkey Hunter.  In fact, I have had this book a few years now and this is my second attempt to read it through, and I am going to finish it this time, and who knows it may grow on me by the end! The same guy that did the inner artwork in The Old Pro does the same in this book, which I have always found to be very good. It talks more of pioneer days with turkey hunting thrown in. One cool thing I was not expecting was on the inner back part of the dust jacket is a photograph of Mr. Nunnery. I think the copy that I got was reasonably priced, and I found it on ebay.  The Flaming Turkey, and One Man Game were the ones I winced at as I hit the Buy Now button... ;D

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 11:18:35 AM »
Where did you get the book and was it a decent price? I want to read this one more than The Old Pro Turkey Hunter but all the prices I see are outrageous. Thanks.
IMO not to take anything away from the book, but I was dying to read it so as soon as I found a copy I jumped on the opportunity and I am finding it to not be as good as the Old Pro Turkey Hunter.  In fact, I have had this book a few years now and this is my second attempt to read it through, and I am going to finish it this time, and who knows it may grow on me by the end! The same guy that did the inner artwork in The Old Pro does the same in this book, which I have always found to be very good. It talks more of pioneer days with turkey hunting thrown in. One cool thing I was not expecting was on the inner back part of the dust jacket is a photograph of Mr. Nunnery. I think the copy that I got was reasonably priced, and I found it on ebay.  The Flaming Turkey, and One Man Game were the ones I winced at as I hit the Buy Now button... ;D
Thanks for the input on the book. I always thought it would have more of a Christian outlook in the book than others may books may have because the title is a Biblical reference, that is the major reason other than being turkey hunting of course that I wanted to read it.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline rifleman

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 12:39:32 PM »
Remember a good many years ago the Drury Bros. were selling a dog whistle?  I have only seen one hen being bred and she must not have been enjoying the experience because she didn't mutter a sound.  P.T. Barnum said it best with his observation that a sucker is born every second or something on that order.  It is true...I bought a dog whistle. 

Offline afhunter1

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 12:54:46 PM »
Ha Ha!  I had a dog whistle too.  I did not buy a Squealing Hen.

Fool me once shame on you,  fool me twice shame on me.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 01:19:39 PM »
Remember a good many years ago the Drury Bros. were selling a dog whistle?  I have only seen one hen being bred and she must not have been enjoying the experience because she didn't mutter a sound.  P.T. Barnum said it best with his observation that a sucker is born every second or something on that order.  It is true...I bought a dog whistle.
I guess I am okay to admit then that I bought one this year too, turned out to be a pair of them and neither were subsonic.

John Koenig:

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 04:16:20 PM »
What a joke, the old squealing hen LOL. That call was also a Estrus Coyote call and hot cow elk call... just change the color and package backing. Yup they all sound the same for breeding. I remember somewhere reading how HS got busted by using old footage of gobblers running in from some old video and edited in the "Squealing Hen" call to show how they just come running in. And I did fall for that MAD whistle, I was pretty green then... gimmicks

So yes a hen makes a sound when she is getting bred, if your not close to her maybe at best 20 feet your never going to hear it, When we had turkeys on the farm I heard hens make this sound, I wouldn't call it a squeal, it's a pretty soft, subdued call.

There are a lot of sounds turkeys make more than what we use for hunting purposes.

MK M GOBL

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2019, 07:47:55 PM »

So yes a hen makes a sound when she is getting bred, if your not close to her maybe at best 20 feet your never going to hear it, When we had turkeys on the farm I heard hens make this sound, I wouldn't call it a squeal, it's a pretty soft, subdued call.

MK M GOBL

That is correct, it is not very loud. I heard it many times on my penned birds. I remember the commercial for the squealing hen, lol. More like the screaming hen being attacked by a rapist.

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2019, 08:19:27 PM »

MK M GOBL

That is correct, it is not very loud. I heard it many times on my penned birds. I remember the commercial for the squealing hen, lol. More like the screaming hen being attacked by a rapist.

maybe those wild hens are just a bit more on the trashy side

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 12:12:13 PM »
Dont knock the dog whistle lol. I try to convince every new hunter I meet to get one. It gives them something to do that doesn’t make any noise while the rest of us are hunting. I always tell them if it ain’t working your not blowing it hard enough or waiting long enough for an answer
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2019, 09:36:14 AM »
I like to try new stuff. Some of it has worked out really well. Some of it, not so much. The Squealing hen, I'd put in the latter category.
Yeah, they got me...   :-[

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2019, 12:42:17 PM »
I laughed as soon as I saw the first commercial for that call. Some of the stuff that comes out sure is entertaining. Bet poor Eddie really regrets that one. But hey, Waddel is selling wedding rings so he doesn't have to feel to bad about it.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club