OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Wingbone Finish  (Read 1905 times)

Offline Crazyfeather

Wingbone Finish
« on: May 07, 2019, 09:35:55 PM »
I've made me a handful of wingbones that i've used just to kill turkeys but i got some this year i want to try and make look perty like all these other ones on the forum. What kinds of finish do yall use on your wingbones is it tru oil?

Offline Scpossum

Re: Wingbone Finish
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 07:09:22 AM »
I do not think the tru-oil will penetrate bone. You will have to use an epoxy finish or something similar.

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 10:42:07 AM »
I would like to know also. I want to try my hand at making a couple to give to my kids. I figured it would be a spray enamel of some kind.

Offline superx2

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 05:05:33 PM »
I do not think the tru-oil will penetrate bone. You will have to use an epoxy finish or something similar.

I think its also some kind of epoxy seeing some with the thread wrap like fishing pole.

Offline nitro

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 06:04:12 PM »
Ive seen people use Deft and others use CA finish. Don't know what works best. Send Mark Sharpe a PM and ask him- he makes great wingbones.
Royal Slam 2008

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 07:40:50 AM »
There are a lot of finishes you can use. For years, I used polyurethane, which works, but it yellows. Then I used Crystal Clear for a while and then regular Lacquer (9-10 coats). Finally (recently) I started using a two part epoxy. That pretty much requires you to make some sort of turner that rotates the call slowly until the epoxy sets, although, I know some guys that don't use one.

There are many ways to skin a cat!

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 01:14:33 PM »
Thanks Tony, I didn’t know if some of the sealers would make the thread bleed it’s colors

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 02:46:55 PM »
Thanks Tony, I didn’t know if some of the sealers would make the thread bleed it’s colors

The sun plays heck on thread color. You can buy color fast thread and/or there's a liquid product that I use on ALL my calls that preserves the colors. Can't think of the name, but you can get it from the Mud Hole.

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 04:11:35 PM »
Thanks

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 01:41:33 PM »
I made wingbone yelpers for years and I seldom applied any finish to them. Instead I would sand them progressing down to 400 grit sandpaper then polish them using a cloth jewelry polishing wheel chucked in a hand drill held in a vice and polishing compound. In just a few minutes the bones would take on a mirror gloss that lasts for years. 

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.