North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

SC Spring 2019 Recap

Started by SCGobbler, May 07, 2019, 05:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCGobbler

NO birds down for me this year.

Missed one and I completely know it is my fault.  DO NOT TAKE A BRAND NEW GUN HUNTING W/O AT A MINIMUM SHOOTING IT.  I had a public land gobbler chasing 4 hens past me at 20 yards.  As he topped the hill, I put the bead on his bubbles and pulled the trigger... but didn't hear any flopping.  I stayed down on the gun and realized the issue.  I had cheeked over the gun and tilted it and shot 10 feet to the right.  After searching for any sign of blood or feathers for 20 minutes, I found the wadding that confirmed my suspicions.  The gun didn't have a rear site, so when I put the bead on his neck, it was on his neck but pointed the wrong direction.  Complete and utter rookie mistake.  That was the last time I heard a solid distinct loud gobble on that section of the Public Land.

I ran and gunned most of the season on other sections of Public Land but just never heard any loud strong gobbles at all; I never managed to get in the bubble.

I can tell you this.  This was my first year hunting Public Land.  Hunting Public Land makes you not only a better hunter but a better woodsman. I'm hooked on public land.  Some of the best spots I found all season I feel safe to say hold turkeys earlier in the season and I didn't know about them until later in the season.  Next season will be a different story.
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge