OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New 535, Choke suggestions for 3.5" TSS-7's

Started by cljohnson24, May 09, 2019, 08:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cljohnson24

Guy's just picked up a 535 and looking for choke suggestions with 3.5" Fed TSS 7's 2.25oz. I have the following on hand that fit this gun from my Win 1300(which is on loan to my oldest son):
Undertaker Non Ported HD .675
Undertaker Non Ported Lead Only .665
Carlson Long Beard Ported .660
Truglo SSX .643(put up 160-170's with Win 1300 and HW 3" 1 5/8oz 7's)
Winchester Extra Full Ported #2 .665(came with my 1300 years ago)
Mossberg XXFull Turkey Lead Only .670(came with gun)

I haven't played with new TSS, new Flex Flite Control or 3.5" shells so feel free to bring me up to speed in regards to porting, constriction for 3.5" loads etc..

Thanks!

cljohnson24

Never mind, I found one that'll work on my second pick. Thought might be too tight with the 3.5" 2.25oz  load, but that SSX .643 is honestly a bit too good. Deep cleaned and polished bore like a mirror with JB bore paste and drill like usual.
244 in 10 and 368 in 24.
Just needed to move Red Dot left and down 4" and call it good!

FWIW I thought recoil would be worse than it was..but I'm used to shooting .444 Marlins and smokeless MZ's.

LaLongbeard

If that won't kill a turkey I don't know what will. Friend of mine used a factory .675 Remington super full choke and got good patterns with the Nitros 7.5 TSS. I'm not at all recoil sensitive but those 2 5/8 oz 3.5 Nitros will make your teeth hurt. Buddy was scared of the thing lol. We had to weight the stock for him to pattern it.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

cljohnson24

The sad part about it is that I almost sold the choke. When Fed went from HW to TSS I simply refused  to pay the huge price difference and switched to LB's once I found they patterned as well  for a lot less.
Then on an impulse after my 12 yo stayed talking about ducks/geese this year, I looked for a 3.5" gun. I love my Winchester guns but after some research was only 3.5" gun that was compatible with all the "winchoke" chokes I've compiled..
Seems like was smart