OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 835 recoil reduction  (Read 4444 times)

Offline Bagg-it Tag-it

• The Boss Gobbler
835 recoil reduction
« on: May 06, 2019, 06:07:00 PM »
So on a post somewhere on this site I saw where bbcoach suggested a recoil reduction strategy for the 835 (spoiler it does require a little more weight)...he said to  use filler (styrofoam) in the hollow stock and to add 4-6 oz of lead shot in a ducktaped sock right behind the recoil pad. Also to replace the standard recoil pad with a limbsaver and then to prevent cheek slap to install a Beartooth neoprene pad to the stock.

I already had an ammo carrier with padding to go in place of the Beartooth pad. I didn't have the strofoam or the lead shot--so I got the foam at Michael's craft store and cut it to fit. Then since I didn't have shot, I rolled up 6 oz of pennies and cut out a space in the strofoam to make room for it and then installed a limbsaver pad. I carried it run and gun hunting yesterday all day and didn't notice a weight difference. It has reduced the recoil by half between the added weight and the limbsaver. Here are some pix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
Re: 835 recoil reduction
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 07:03:35 PM »
I can understand recoil being a problem for some when there patterning new shells etc. several turkey loads in a light gun. But do you actually feel the recoil when shooting at an animal?
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline Bagg-it Tag-it

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 07:42:05 PM »
No not really. I was basically tinkering around with it since I saw his suggestion. But I can picture myself doing a better job of patterning with less recoil.

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 08:54:00 AM »
If your looking to add weight forget the foam. You can get a whole 5 pound can of BBs for 5$ at Walmart fill the hollow stock all the way up to were the recoil pad inserts into stock. A lot of weight added will dampen the heaviest of turkey loads. Makes the gun way to heavy to carry hunting but as stated not needed. You can remove the recoil pad put a gallon ziploc over the stock turn it over ..done  stock empty in 10 sec. Friend of mine insisted on shooting 2 5/8 ounces of 7.5 TSS from Nitro, he could not take the recoil we filled the stock got the gun patterned removed the BBs.

Offline strum

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 10:19:54 AM »
I saw an 835 in a pawnshop the other day. So i asked to look at it . They had filled the stock with concrete. Weighed a ton.
I cant imagine toting that thing around all day.

Offline coyote1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 01:46:19 PM »
Another option is vacuum sealing shot in the bag. Cut the bag a little bigger than you need and it will wedge in the stock tight enough you won't need any packing. I did this on a synthetic stocked sidelock muzzleloader. It was so barrel heavy I couldn't sling it without it leaning back a mile. I did it just to balance the gun better.

Online bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 01:53:04 PM »
If your looking to add weight forget the foam. You can get a whole 5 pound can of BBs for 5$ at Walmart fill the hollow stock all the way up to were the recoil pad inserts into stock. A lot of weight added will dampen the heaviest of turkey loads. Makes the gun way to heavy to carry hunting but as stated not needed. You can remove the recoil pad put a gallon ziploc over the stock turn it over ..done  stock empty in 10 sec. Friend of mine insisted on shooting 2 5/8 ounces of 7.5 TSS from Nitro, he could not take the recoil we filled the stock got the gun patterned removed the BBs.
La, we are trying to lessen the recoil without making the gun so heavy you have to use a wheelbarrow to carry it and a crane to get it into shooting position.  I thought of this process from my aviation engineering background.  The small amount of weight (4-6 ozs. of lead shot wrapped in a sock and duct taped) was added to the rear of the stock to help balance the gun and also to make the gun somewhat heavier to absorb some of the recoil using a few ounces of weight instead of pounds.  The foam was to keep the weight from rattling around and in the rear for balance.  Adding the Limbsaver helped as well and I added a Beartooth Comb Raising Kit for a dual purpose, 1. to reduce cheek slap and 2. to get my eye aligned with the Red dot I added.  This process may not be for everybody but it has lessened the recoil on my 835 tremendously.

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 04:21:48 PM »
Yep that’s why I asked if he actually feels the recoil when shooting at game. He said not really. So if it’s only used for pattering I don’t know why you’d be hauling the gun anywhere lol.
I’ve never personally met anyone that feels the recoil when shooting at an animal not 8 year old girls or 80 year old men but I guess theres some that do?

Offline Bagg-it Tag-it

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 04:46:15 PM »
Ive owned the gun for 12 years and it has been my primary turkey gun. It kicks like a mule. Basically that is all. There is almost zero difference in carrying 6 more ounces, whereas it takes at least half the recoil away. I only offered the info to illustrate it if anyone else wanted to try it. No one is telling anyone they have to do it. lol

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 07:48:27 AM »
 :morning:
Sounds like it’ll work! For patterning I use the “Lead Sled”. What recoil?!?!  :icon_thumright:
During the hunt, again, what recoil?!?!  :camohat:
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 08:01:50 AM »
835s don't have more recoil than other guns which weigh the same. The 835 is heavier than most. So, it actually kicks less. The problem is they don't fit hardly anybody. What recoil they do have comes back in a way that just hurts most of us.

I'm not knocking adding weight to slow it down. Clearly, that works. I'm just saying the weight of the thing isn't the actual problem.

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 08:17:57 AM »
835s don't have more recoil than other guns which weigh the same. The 835 is heavier than most. So, it actually kicks less. The problem is they don't fit hardly anybody. What recoil they do have comes back in a way that just hurts most of us.

I'm not knocking adding weight to slow it down. Clearly, that works. I'm just saying the weight of the thing isn't the actual problem.

Agree! IMHO, it’s a mass produce hot rod! :fud:
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 10:52:16 PM »
I looked at these after my shoulder surgery, but as luck would have it the recoil has not given me any problems. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/678973/graco-breako-mercury-recoil-reducer-standard-7-8-x-4-14-oz
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2019, 11:58:45 AM »

THIS!  You do not need to add weight to a 835 to reduce recoil.  Pick up a $10 shim kit, a Simms pad and if you really still cant handle the recoil throw a cheek pad cushion on the comb or pick up a thumbhole or pistol grip stock and make the same aforementioned mods.  My 835 shooting 3.5" magblends or nitros recoils less than my 870 shooting 3" versions of the same loads.  Shooting the 870 is seriously like being punched in the shoulder by Mike Tyson and as he's following through, he gives you a little taste of elbow to the cheek. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2019, 12:05:42 PM »

THIS!  You do not need to add weight to a 835 to reduce recoil.  Pick up a $10 shim kit, a Simms pad and if you really still cant handle the recoil throw a cheek pad cushion on the comb or pick up a thumbhole or pistol grip stock and make the same aforementioned mods.  My 835 shooting 3.5" magblends or nitros recoils less than my 870 shooting 3" versions of the same loads.  Shooting the 870 is seriously like being punched in the shoulder by Mike Tyson and as he's following through, he gives you a little taste of elbow to the cheek.

X2 on a 870!!! I have an older 870 Wingmaster 3” with a full choke barrel with a factory recoil pad that will hurt every tooth in yer mouth, plus make you say words you really don’t want leaving your lips!!!
 :camohat:
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life