OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Iron peep sights.

Started by USMC0331, May 05, 2019, 01:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

USMC0331

Is/has anyone used peep sights on their turkey hunting set up? If so what brand and how do you like them? Thinking about trying XS or the Wilson combat on a recently acquired 20 guage 870. Thanks for any information.

dirt road ninja

One came on a gun I recently bought and both my son and I hated it. It seems to block way to much of your view compared to regular V style sights. The name brand was dead ringer I believe, if you want the rear portion of it PM me your address and you can have it. I left the front bead on the gun, but will remove it if it's not too much trouble.

coyote1

I have the truglo true bead with the ghost ring rear sight. I much prefer the ghost ring over the traditional rear rifle sight. It mounts to the rib and is universal.

LaLongbeard

I have a Williams reciever (peep) sight on my backup shotgun which is an 870 Special purpose with the plain barell and rifle  sites. I got the Williams at brownells they make one for the 870 that fits the curve of the reciever. A peep sight to work properly needs to be close to your eye, your eye will automatically center the front site in the peep you only have to concern yourself with the front site. I have Lyman peep sites on my deer rifles. Before scopes became popular after WW2 the reciever site was considered the fastest and most accurate siting option. It's also why the military uses or used to use the peep site on the M16s. Looking thru the peep keeps your head down on the stock and stops a lot of misses caused by raising your head off the stock. I prefer a bead on my turkey guns because I rarely shoot past 25-30 yards, but if I shot the super tight patterns some are hunting I'd go to the peep site.
I removed the disc that screws in and just use the larger hole same as in my deer rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

LaLongbeard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USMC0331

LaLongbeard

Dtrkyman

I have the adjustable truglo with the 2 fiber dots in the rear peep, while I have killed every bird I've shot at with the sight I just do not like how much of the target it blocks out!