OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Well, it’s not huge...  (Read 3832 times)

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
Well, it’s not huge...
« on: May 04, 2019, 10:32:52 PM »
But, got it done finally. Took some work to say the least. After getting shuffled around on some farms that I’ve had good early season success on, I’ve managed to squeak one out. We lost the place we typically go first weekend but never heard a reason why. Maybe they were planting crops that weekend but not certain. Second farm has a fella hunting it and it’s just not large enough for the two of us to be on there together. Plus, I’m fairly certain he’s overcalled the birds on that place which again makes things difficult. Took Thursday off work and went to a new place with a buddy of mine. Worked some birds fairly hard and made an aggressive move that I’m fairly certain boogered them a bit. We hit the far end of that property and worked back towards the truck to the opposite side stopping in one more spot before leaving. Birds gobbled but were way over on the neighbors place. Like 300 yards over there. Worked a hen hard and got her plenty upset which then kickstarted the boys in the bottom. At 40 yards all 4 turned out to be jakes so they got a free pass.

Fast forward to this morning, I went to the farm that’s been hunted by the other guy that calls too much. He used to just hunt the first week. By week 3 it’s usually getting good there again. Turns out, he’s been there every day but 3 this season and hasn’t killed one yet. Tried slipping in after first light today to let them get going on their own. Prone to flushing birds off the roost there and, as luck would have it, still managed to do it again this morning. Anyway, got a bird to gobble across the field. When he answered the second time another did as well. 3rd series of calls got them to gobble again. Series 4 and 5 got no response so I shut up. Heard one more gobble that sounded like they’d actually pitched down and were going away from me. Waited a few minutes and was getting ready to text my wife to tell her I was heading home early for some late morning cuddling when I heard the wings flapping. Looked up and he was in the field. Moments later his brother showed up along with a jake. Once they closed the gap and hit the farm I’ve got permission for, I smacked the lead bird. His brother commenced to whooping on him for several minutes while the jake busted out of there. Again, not a big bird but very thankful to get one. Don’t have to try and run every morning this week before school and be dragging heavily by the time I start the business end in the evenings. Sorry for the long read. Oh, took pics and realized I’d forgotten something vital on the score sheet. Had Megan take the pic after I’d already changed for work this morning. Glad she was there. Tried to get my daughter to help but she wasn’t having it. Enjoyed looking at it but didn’t want to touch it at all. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 05:44:34 AM by wvmntnhick »

Offline Roost 1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: Well, it’s not huge...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 12:15:42 AM »
Way to hang in there... congrats on a nice bird.

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 05:49:09 AM »
Way to hang in there... congrats on a nice bird.
Thank you sir. Considered going again this morning but nope. It’s pouring here. I’m just gonna hang tight with the family today. Thankful for all I’ve got at the moment.

Offline Dr Juice

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 07:40:02 AM »
Awesome bird and congrats brother!

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 08:39:43 AM »
Thanks man. Been so busy nearly forgot to ask how your season was going. So, how’s it going?

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 02:05:45 PM »
Congrats on the gobbler!  Having to hunt Merriam's turkeys in New Mexico, I get a kick out of you guys that hunt Eastern's and your perspective on what constitutes a big bird.  A 60 point bird here is considered to be a whopper.  I have killed three gobblers here this spring,...all three good, mature birds,...two of which were 3+ years old,...and the biggest scores 58 and change. 

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2019, 02:22:12 PM »
Congrats on the gobbler!  Having to hunt Merriam's turkeys in New Mexico, I get a kick out of you guys that hunt Eastern's and your perspective on what constitutes a big bird.  A 60 point bird here is considered to be a whopper.  I have killed three gobblers here this spring,...all three good, mature birds,...two of which were 3+ years old,...and the biggest scores 58 and change.
I’ve been fortunate enough to hunt some good farm/agriculture land locally the past few years that have produced some good birds. The birds here are generally 4-7# heavier than the mountain birds I used to chase back home and they’ve typically not ground their spurs down because the terrain here is flat. Winters aren’t as bad here either so the beards don’t get ice in them and break as often either. This is actually one of the smallest birds I’ve killed here and I’m thinking he’s just a 2 y/o. Maybe 3 but not certain. Good age structure here though and it typically allows for passing on younger birds. But, limited time this year so I just dumped him. Thankful for this one.

Offline hookedspur

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 07:39:17 PM »
Congrats on a great bird buddy , they are all memory trophies.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Offline callaway71

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 11:29:51 AM »
Congrats!

Offline Dr Juice

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2019, 09:52:50 PM »
Thanks man. Been so busy nearly forgot to ask how your season was going. So, how’s it going?

Hello brother. I apologize for the tardy response, but i did better than expected. I tagged out with my second bird a few days ago so it is a bitter sweet end. Did you score another one yet?

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2019, 11:43:31 PM »

Hello brother. I apologize for the tardy response, but i did better than expected. I tagged out with my second bird a few days ago so it is a bitter sweet end. Did you score another one yet?
I did man. Nothing great. It was another 2 y/o. Had a blast chasing them when I could and very thankful for what I ended up with.