OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: NY Opener  (Read 2169 times)

Offline Turkeyman

• The Boss Gobbler
NY Opener
« on: May 04, 2019, 06:41:44 PM »
Today was my 1st day in NY. 3 good birds with several hens skirted me. They wouldn't commit...wanted to stay with the girls. Went to a different spot. A tom out in a field with hen. Called them in but they were 80 yards away. That witch stayed out there and kept him at bay. Oh well...try again.

Online squidd

• God, Family and Country
Re: NY Opener
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 07:09:10 AM »
Good luck and looks like you found them!

Offline twyatt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 08:11:11 AM »
Keep us posted and good luck!

Offline Turkeyman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 12:02:37 PM »
After running into henned up birds both Saturday and Sunday I scored on Monday. I pretty much knew where they were roosting so got in tight prior to first light. A few started gobbling, one about 125 yards in front of me and downhill a bit. I couldn't do anything because several hens were around me like ornaments on a Christmas tree. The gobblers flew down first. Luckily when the hens flew down they went off to my left a ways. I called and got an immediate response from a couple different toms. With a little coaxing I got the downhill bird to 30 yards. 22.8#, 1" spurs, 9 7/8" beard

Went to a different spot Tuesday...where I had been Saturday. Monday night I roosted a tom so had a pretty good idea on a setup. Again, got in there in the dark. After sitting for a half hour he gobbled ~125-150 yards out in front of me. Another gobbled beyond him. It started drizzling...weather forecast called for some heavy rains coming so I was hoping things would work out soon. My experience is that on days like this you don't want to pound on them so all I did was let them know I was there every so often...they acted like they were with hens so I played it slow. After an hour or so I saw them working my way...with four hens in front. They were passing very slowly feeding along to my left. The toms were strutting along and drumming, looking for me. With six sets of eyeballs you have to be careful with the final move on the gun. 2 YO 14.8#, 3/4" spurs, 9" beard. Not the one I had been hearing but I'm happy nonetheless. Now I'll run down to PA and buy a license tomorrow afternoon for a Saturday hunt.

Offline ads1

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 07:01:03 PM »
Good deal and good luck tomorrow!
Terry E. Kiser from Southeastern Illinois

Offline Caspar

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 07:58:05 PM »
good luck in Pa turkeyman. we should have some nice weather saturday