OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Best pump gun  (Read 7496 times)

Offline USMC0331

• Longbeard
Re: Best pump gun
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2019, 08:53:58 PM »
I have 870, mossberg, and BPS. I did not by the 870 you get at the box store . Remington offers several 870 models. Some have the lifetime warranty and others do not. I like all of the ones I currently own. If I wanted to try a different pump , I would buy the Ithaca. Which ever you decide to get I certainly hope it works out for you.

Offline Buckman18

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2019, 08:59:49 PM »
I share the same view as the OP in that I’ve had bad experiences with newer Remington products and I absolutely refuse to buy them with my money.

Green touching yellow will jip a fellow.

For a pump turkey gun, I really like my mossberg 535. It patterns good with a Carlson LB choke, and it’s very light and a pleasure to tote. It does kick very hard, but it’s my turkey gun so it doesn’t go to the dove field.

Offline grayfox

• Longbeard
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2019, 09:31:26 PM »
Guess I got my 870 Express before the quality declined. The only problem I had with it was the 21" barrel wouldn't pattern Winchester Supreme #5's worth a hoot. After trying about a half dozen different chokes I gave up & went with Hevi-13 #7 per Clark Bush's suggestion & haven't looked back. It's been a great gun & it's still my turkey gun I use every season. I have had 2 Mossberg 500's & a 535. Called in 2 long beards at once while using the 535 & it wouldn't shoot at first & caused my step-father to miss a great opportunity at killing his first gobbler. I sold it! I still think the 870 is the best pump shotgun ever made. Opinions vary.

Offline 30_06

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Esse quam videri
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2019, 09:36:11 PM »
Ithaca 37. Great quality, throws a good pattern, not chunky or overly heavy, built to last.

Esse quam videri

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2019, 09:39:20 PM »
The worst thing Remington ever did was putting the three numbers 8-7-0 in front of the Express model. There aren’t enough words or pictures maybe not even a YouTube video to get people to comprehend the Wingmaster and Express or Super mag Express are not the same. Not the parts not the quality not the function.
Remington should have named it the “save a few bucks, spend a lifetime complaining Express shotgun.

If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2019, 07:53:47 AM »
I share the same view as the OP in that I’ve had bad experiences with newer Remington products and I absolutely refuse to buy them with my money.

Green touching yellow will jip a fellow.

For a pump turkey gun, I really like my mossberg 535. It patterns good with a Carlson LB choke, and it’s very light and a pleasure to tote. It does kick very hard, but it’s my turkey gun so it doesn’t go to the dove field.

My only experience with " new " Remington products has been the walnut V3 I purchased a couple of years ago. It`s been absolutely flawless to date and a real pleasure to shoot. Obviously, the V3`s not a pump. The only Remington pump I`ve ever owned is the one I have now and which is my dedicated turkey gun. 2005 model Super Mag with a thumbhole stock and a red dot, MO Obsession camo. The thing is an absolute tank. Very smooth action, no rattles. It`s a heavy gun that was used when I bought it. Couldn`t be more pleased.

I would hazard that many, if not most, of the complaints concerning Remington quality center around the Express models. Have not personally seen many negatives with the "new" Wingmasters. As someone has posted, many times you get what you pay for. Anyone buying an Express model 870 expecting Wingmaster quality in such an " economy " gun isn`t being realistic IMHO. I personally would have no problem with purchasing a new Wingmaster.

Offline mspaci

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2019, 07:59:03 AM »
well I had a small problem w my Ithaca Turkeyslayer to start, they fixed no questions asked & its been a great gun. Very smooth action, great trigger, it gets my vote, Mike

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2019, 03:01:47 PM »
bps ,the best there is......
Browning'....“The Best There Is”

Austin 3:16...........

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2019, 09:42:21 PM »
Love my older 870 and will also throw the Winchester 1300 into this discussion as well. My 1300 has killed a pile of turkeys.

Offline brettdunn7

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2019, 10:13:32 PM »
Benelli supernova. Bought it because I had issue with an 870 I used one time. Won’t ever shoot one again. Never an issue with my supernova. Darn good gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2019, 10:34:22 PM »
...will also throw the Winchester 1300 into this discussion as well. My 1300 has killed a pile of turkeys.

:agreed:

Given a shelf full of pump guns, I'm reaching for the 1300 every time.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline mudhen

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2019, 11:46:18 PM »
BPS, by far...
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2019, 09:18:10 AM »
Love my older 870 and will also throw the Winchester 1300 into this discussion as well. My 1300 has killed a pile of turkeys.

As do I. Thing`s a tank.

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2019, 11:01:36 AM »
Have had 6 870's in the last 30 or so years. 2 express turkey 12's , both are pretty close to when they came out. A super mag express turkey when they first came out. A 20 guage youth turkey and  a 26" 20 express 26". Never a single hickup with any of those. All of those are older guns. The later wallymart supermag had a rough barrel though nothing was a real problem with that one.

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2019, 12:10:55 PM »
Remington made the Super magnum there first 3.5” shotgun then came the Express Super magnum, which is the Walmart version. The original SM was like the special purpose guns same machined extractor, ejector and internal parts polished like the Wingmaster.
The cost savings with the Express in any model are the cheap stamped parts they skip the internal polishing which causes the rough cycling and the tool marks are common in the barells. Basically they skip a few steps and substitute cheaper parts on the Express. The extractors and ejectors look the same but they are not. Same with the action bars( the rails  connected to the forend) if these are not fit precisely or are bent even slightly the gun will be really hard to cycle and even jam. This is one of the quality control steps skipped with the Express.
On this entire forum and thousands of posts you never see anyone complain about any of these issues with the Wingmaster. But for the rest of eternity people will continue to try and save 150$ buy the Express have problems and complain. And there is no way to get people to comprehend this. Even if you flew them to the factory showed them a Wingmaster and an Express being made it will never sink in. I guess it’s the same mentality that causes someone to buy there guns at Walmart?
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?