OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Browning Bps 10 gauge NWTF Edition

Started by RED NECK, March 30, 2019, 07:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMTJAGER

I'm guessing they would be rather pricey but I'd be interested to see how a 10ga would pattern with 2.25-2.5oz of #7 TSS.

The reason so many people claim the 835 Ultimag patterns so well is because it's actually much closer to a 10ga than a 12 and as a result the patterns of 2.25oz shot aren't squeezed to tight and suffer less fliers, or so I've been told.

RED NECK

They definitely do not cater to 10 gauge turkey hunters like they do for 20 and 12 gauge owners and I get it,The 10 gauge is outdated with the ammo choices for the lighter smaller gauges,however they will still do all I need them to do with their average at best shells and average "numbers" count at 40 yards.I would like to see some #7' tss be released as #7's are legal here.I wouldn't hold my breath and I am just taking the boat anchor for another hunt today.I like the gun even with its average numbers game,boat anchor weight and nobody wants to produce a good shell for it.Oh well.Just another gun.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

Rem Man

It's to bad you have trouble getting ammunition because, the nitro ammunition and tss is unreal and makes the 10 gauge a completely different gun with unbelievable patterns and numbers!!!!

RED NECK

That hunt lasted about 10 minutes,we had hunted another spot for the morning and the birds were there but went another way,I had 20 gauge with me.We were heading to other spot and I decided to stop at home and grab the 10 gauge.I was set up for maybe 5 minutes,my father was set up on other side of massive corn field over a hill,I hear him call,a tom answer a few times,I waited and about 8 minutes later he dumped his first bird with #7 tss 20 gauge shells,25 yard shot,finally the birds are starting to come to call and he walked right in and got shot.20 lbs 01 oz,10" beard and 1" spurs he was alone and looking for love.

The last 9 days should be good as the first 28 have been cold,raining every day and extreme winds.Weird year weather wise,coldest spring in 52 years.If it is the end of the world I just want to enjoy the last 9 days of turkey season.

deadbuck

I carry 2 different 10 gauges a lot, an auto and a single barrel. Look in the 10 ga forum here and you will see them. I started off shooting same ammo you are trying now a long time ago. If you think your patterns are "AVERAGE" , I was shooting some federal 2 oz 5's and they were the worst patterning shell I have ever seen anywhere in any gauge with any choke at any distance period. I bought them on clearance at Rogers for .73 cents each shipped to my door and I got screwed as they are worthless. I only shoot armadillos and snakes with them now. However, if you are willing to take the plunge cost wise and load or buy TSS you will be in the big leagues. 400-500 hits in a 10 inch circle at 40 is easy with TSS 9 , and 250-300 with TSS7 if that is all you can shoot. You will realize you have been spinning your wheels with any kind of lead or copper plated shot commercially available. Also, a .695 -.720 choke is usually better from my experience. I am an old school 10 gauge guy, but I know guys with 12's and 20's that will shoot almost as good as a 10!

RED NECK

Those patterns will drop any turkey alive at 40 yards that I will ever hunt,I as anybody else want more pellets but I don't worry about counting them either..I still may try other lead ammo after season to test.If i can locate tss that I am able to use legally,I will buy it,I have not found any and don't believe I will up here but I hope I do.I don't plan on reloading for the gun.I am not spending more money on different chokes for this gun shooting lead shells.I don't like it that much.

RED NECK

I just had the gun with me an hour ago and had 8 jakes walk by at 20 yards.I don't shoot jakes ever but boy was I itching to set the trigger off and hear the boom!...but 8 jakes turn into 8 toms!

RED NECK

I found one small shop about an hour and a half away that can bring in hevi shot mag blend 10 gauge.This is the email I received this morning from them,I have never dealt with them because they never have anything in stock that I need or want but I have heard good things about the man.

I am hesitant because without testing a pack,or even 2 shells.I am throwing all my cards on the table without knowing my hand.I have seen where these pattern very well and I believe they will definitely be an upgrade from the lead shells.I either go in on this gun or maybe leave it alone and hunt with it as is.If they pattern better than the lead,even if I need to purchase another choke.I am willing to spend the money as I will have enough shells for a decade.

"Good morning,

I spoke with my distributor and they can order it.

You will need to order at least five boxes at a price of $55.95 per box(5 shells in a box) paid in full before order is placed and it should be in by September.

If you want to place the order, let me know soonest."

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on May 29, 2019, 11:55:47 AM
I found one small shop about an hour and a half away that can bring in hevi shot mag blend 10 gauge.This is the email I received this morning from them,I have never dealt with them because they never have anything in stock that I need or want but I have heard good things about the man.

I am hesitant because without testing a pack,or even 2 shells.I am throwing all my cards on the table without knowing my hand.I have seen where these pattern very well and I believe they will definitely be an upgrade from the lead shells.I either go in on this gun or maybe leave it alone and hunt with it as is.If they pattern better than the lead,even if I need to purchase another choke.I am willing to spend the money as I will have enough shells for a decade.

"Good morning,

I spoke with my distributor and they can order it.

You will need to order at least five boxes at a price of $55.95 per box(5 shells in a box) paid in full before order is placed and it should be in by September.

If you want to place the order, let me know soonest."

They are basically guaranteed to pattern better. I killed a few birds a couple years back with Federal lead and it did ok with a Hastings choke. I bummed 2 magblends and shot one to pattern and one at a tom out of the same choke. Night and day difference.

deadbuck

55.95 for 5 shells is highway robbery. If you want a sampler pack of a few 10 g mag blends and a few 10 ga Fed Heavyweight 7's pm me and I will fix you up cheap.

deadbuck

I also have a bunch of #4 buckshot and copper plated BB shells if you want some of them to try also, as well as 1 nitro 4x5x7 hevishot

RED NECK

Spoke with the man and he informed me the distributor would only bring them in if I purchased 5 boxes.I thought it over and decided to pass on that deal and will keep looking.I can buy a new gun for the price he wanted me to spend on shells.I didn't like the idea of being told I "had" to spend so much money,I am going to mess around more with it with a few chokes,maybe with less constriction and see what happens.I also plan on using it as a goose gun,so If nothing else I have found a new goose gun.

RED NECK

I sent out some feelers last night to some other shops about ammunition and different chokes.I thought about it,stewed about it for a week now and I bought this gun to turkey hunt and my goal is to get this gun up to what I want and if that means spending another few hundred on chokes,shells or even equipment to reload then I am going to do it.I wanted a 10 ga for a decade,found it and actually like the feel of the gun.I am making it a priority this summer to get it shooting better than it is now.