turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Decoys or no decoys?

Started by Mnrookie, May 04, 2019, 11:22:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mnrookie

Harvested a Turkey this morning, no decoys,no calling, field was scouted well, turkeys came off the roost,into the corn  field harvested one today. With that one, at least 2 or 3 more Toms, a few Jake's and about 8 hens in this field,not much disturbed. We have turkeys coming from 2 different roosts to this field. Should I try any calling or decoys, lay down hens, jakes, one of these mornings coming up to help my partner harvest his Turkey or just wait til they walk by?
They are out about 45 plus yards,decoys or calls to bring them in closer to 25/30 yards??
Thank you for the help.

GobbleNut

It sounds to me like you are in an exclusive situation where you have no competition for those birds.  Assuming that is correct,...and you actually want to LEARN how to hunt turkeys in the spring, I would at least try calling to those turkeys, if nothing else to begin to get some understanding about turkey communication.  After all, that is really what spring gobbler hunting is all about,...calling turkeys to the gun.

Since you are hunting field turkeys, you may need to use decoys (or other visual tools) in order to pull the birds in close enough for a shot.  Again, however, if you want to learn to turkey hunt by using calling, you might consider hunting those birds in "the woods" rather than in the field.

Regardless, it sound like you are in a situation where you can get your buddy a bird by doing nothing but waiting in ambush for one.  If that is the way you would like to kill them, then don't worry about the other ways of hunting them.  However, if you intend to hunt turkeys in other places with less favorable conditions, now is the time to start learning about calling and woodsmanship and their application in spring hunting.  You appear to be in the perfect situation to do that.    :icon_thumright:

Mnrookie

We are in an exclusive area. When the turkeys broke up after we harvested one Turkey. We did try to call in 2 different Tom's, one had hens with him, one didnt. A hen landed 10 yards from me,and I listened how she called to the Tom that was not coming out of the woods any further. Right place at the right time,any as always some luck. Just was looking for a few ideas or set ups that worked,not just an ambush. Wondering about how to call and what kinds of decoys would bring a Tom in closer for a cleaner kill.
Relax...

GobbleNut

Quote from: Mnrookie on May 04, 2019, 02:24:15 PM
We are in an exclusive area. When the turkeys broke up after we harvested one Turkey. We did try to call in 2 different Tom's, one had hens with him, one didnt. A hen landed 10 yards from me,and I listened how she called to the Tom that was not coming out of the woods any further. Right place at the right time,any as always some luck. Just was looking for a few ideas or set ups that worked,not just an ambush. Wondering about how to call and what kinds of decoys would bring a Tom in closer for a cleaner kill.
Relax...

Okay,...Thanks for the advice,...I will try to relax a bit. 
...You are wondering how to call and what decoys to use.   Since you are hunting a corn field with exclusive access, my suggestion would be to forget the decoys and calling and just throw out a couple of sacks of cracked corn about twenty yards out.  That ought'a do it!   ;D :newmascot:

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

LaLongbeard

Now gobblenut you know the deal. Not only are you expected to give the advice they want to hear but you have to phrase  it in a way that that would not upset the most delicate butterfly. Even I've figured that one out lol
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

MK M GOBL

We killed a STUD of a bird today in the field with my DSD Decoys, I had my White Head Strutter out with a submissive hen and a feeding and upright out as well. Set them decoys close so even when they skirt they are in range. My dominant decoy (kill spot/shot) is set at 15 yards.

MK M GOBL

Mnrookie

GobbleNut

Quote from: guesswho on May 04, 2019, 07:02:20 PM
Trouble maker.
:TooFunny: ;D :toothy12:
Geez,...I was just trying to be helpful in my initial comments.   
...Somehow, the old phrase,..."You can lead a horse to water,...but you can't make him drink" seems appropriate here...    :angel9:  :newmascot:

silvestris

Grandpa said it was unfair to use decoys when hunting turkeys and that is good enough for me.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

fallhnt

Hunt how you like and enjoy it while it's good.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Crghss

This is an opportunity to start using a call. I personally would get a box or pot call and have some fun calling them in. It's a real blast if you haven't done it before.

If you want to use a decoy go ahead.

Go to you tube, you can get all the info you need to learn how to call.

Calling in a turkey will completely change you're hunting experience. Trust me.....and the other 14000 people who subscribe to this site.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

nitro

Damn a strutter decoy and any man who uses one.

Period dot.
Royal Slam 2008

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Marc

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 04, 2019, 01:26:53 PM
Regardless, it sound like you are in a situation where you can get your buddy a bird by doing nothing but waiting in ambush for one.  If that is the way you would like to kill them, then don't worry about the other ways of hunting them.  However, if you intend to hunt turkeys in other places with less favorable conditions, now is the time to start learning about calling and woodsmanship and their application in spring hunting.  You appear to be in the perfect situation to do that.    :icon_thumright:
I learned to hunt on a property loaded with birds...  A good portion of which used a small orchard every morning.

I really, really wanted to kill a bird...  But the owner would not let me hunt the orchard, cause he did not think it was "fair."

That first bird I called in, and killed was a thrill, and came after many failures and mistakes...  I no longer have access to that property (and do not even live close enough to hunt it)...  But I think back on the turkey numbers on that ranch and wonder how it took me so darned long to be successful???

I learned a ton though, and had a great time learning...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.