OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: decoys. yes or no?  (Read 10874 times)

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
Re: decoys. yes or no?
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2019, 04:34:34 AM »
Why stop at saying no to decoys? Let’s say no to shotguns......must use archery or black powder!

Why even start using decoys?
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline Here turkey turkey turkey

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2020, 01:12:50 AM »
I kill a bird or 2 every year on public land without them, but who know, I may would kill more with them, lol. Good luck this season.
To disarm the people...Is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason, referencing advice given to the British Parliament by Pennsylvania governor Sir William Keith, The Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adooption of the Federal Constitution, June 14, 1788

Offline huntineveryday

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2020, 07:30:25 PM »
This is a lot more skewed towards no decoys than I would have guessed. I hunt open areas where there isn't much cover the first 3-4 weeks of the season. The birds are very visible. I use decoys dependent upon the situation, but most if the time I have decoys out. If I'm calling a bird to an open area where they have a lot of visibility, then a decoy helps pull them in that last bit. If the area is completely open and they should be able to see a turkey, I've seen birds hang up due to not having a decoy. I will also use decoys more often when bow hunting to help position the turkeys for a shot. Later in the season when there is more cover, or if terrain allows it, I set up where the gobbler has to come looking and wouldn't be able to see the hen until right on top of her. Old farm yards, weedy fence lines, creek bottoms full of trees, etc can be used to set up so that decoys aren't necessary.

Offline G squared 23

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2020, 11:21:18 PM »
Why stop at saying no to decoys? Let’s say no to shotguns......must use archery or black powder!

I think anyone using more than a slingshot is basically a girl

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2020, 12:11:15 AM »
Open fields yes. Thicker woods no.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2020, 08:31:14 AM »

Most of us that have hunted spring gobblers very long have made up our minds on whether we want to use decoys or not.  I suspect that decision has been based primarily on where we hunt and the conditions we face there.  There are places where they are definitely not necessary to calling in and killing gobblers,....and there are places where I can fully imagine they are. 

I believe the real discussion here is about giving our newer hunters valid information regarding decoy use.  It's easy to imagine a new turkey hunter shopping for turkey hunting stuff looking at the dozens of decoy options and saying to himself,..."Gee, I guess I gotta get one of those if I'm gonna hunt turkeys and do it 'right'".

Some folks will probably look at this discussion from the same perspective they do in waterfowl hunting.  That is, to be a "traditional" waterfowler, you set out decoys.  That is not really what "traditional" turkey hunting is about, and that is why you see such varying (and sometimes extreme) views about it in discussions like this. 

So, for the new guys that are confused:  It is your choice to use decoys or not, but if you are wondering whether they are considered to be necessary for you to be classified as a "sporting" turkey hunter, the answer to that is,...no, they are not.

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2020, 02:13:25 PM »
I don't like toting them around, and found I was killing more birds by being mobile without them them.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline KeyDett

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2020, 08:15:23 PM »
It all depends on the situation, if I’m hunting farm land I use decoys, if I’m hunting heavy woods I don’t.  I hate to carry the things around but in the right situation they come in handy.  The whole debate about whether you should use them or not, I believe that is for each hunter to decide.  As long as you follow the laws and hunting ethically I have no problem with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline avidnwoutdoorsman

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2020, 02:30:52 PM »
I like them to get the birds eyes away from you and so he knows that he didn't come to nothing. Then again, a lot of birds get hung up on them. Tom comes, tom sees decoy, tom doesn't run but holds out of range.

My thoughts come down to early season all for them.... strutter/jake and hen. Understanding that on public land this can be something with not the smartest people running in the woods but I dont hunt around other people when I can and always put a tree on my back.

Mid season I like a single hen.

Late season, I'm probably leaving them in the truck.

Do you want to hunt a bird that puts on a show and dances in front of you or do you want to kill a bird. If your goal is to deke a bird then run dekes. My best friend wont shoot a bird unless it has been deke'd. Personal preference.
Keep Calm and Gobble On!

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2020, 04:34:34 PM »

Most of us that have hunted spring gobblers very long have made up our minds on whether we want to use decoys or not.  I suspect that decision has been based primarily on where we hunt and the conditions we face there.  There are places where they are definitely not necessary to calling in and killing gobblers,....and there are places where I can fully imagine they are. 

I believe the real discussion here is about giving our newer hunters valid information regarding decoy use.  It's easy to imagine a new turkey hunter shopping for turkey hunting stuff looking at the dozens of decoy options and saying to himself,..."Gee, I guess I gotta get one of those if I'm gonna hunt turkeys and do it 'right'".

Some folks will probably look at this discussion from the same perspective they do in waterfowl hunting.  That is, to be a "traditional" waterfowler, you set out decoys.  That is not really what "traditional" turkey hunting is about, and that is why you see such varying (and sometimes extreme) views about it in discussions like this. 

So, for the new guys that are confused:  It is your choice to use decoys or not, but if you are wondering whether they are considered to be necessary for you to be classified as a "sporting" turkey hunter, the answer to that is,...no, they are not.

Great post!

As someone who grew up hunting waterfowl and entered the turkey hunting world later in life, your post rings true.

Decoys or not, my very favorite aspect of turkey hunting is calling them in and the interaction that occurs with that process....

No doubt that there have been instances in which using decoys has hurt me, and there have been cases in which having decoys probably would have helped.

Currently my decision making in using decoys comes down to whether they will benefit the hunt or not, and more often, whether I want to deal with carrying and setting them up...

I am more likely to use them in more open terrain, and leave them in the car when hunting the woods.

I am more likely to use them first thing in the morning (as birds are more likely to be henned up) and leave them in the truck when covering ground and searching for a bird.

I am more likely to use them earlier in the season than later...

Out of the three birds I killed last season, I killed one over decoys...  I probably would not have killed him without decoys...  Hens came in to confront my hen decoy (right off the roost), followed by jakes (right off the roost) that challenged my jake decoy....  Finally, a tom came in (leaving his own hens) probably to run the jakes out and engage the much larger flock of hens surrounding me.  When that tom finally came in, there were birds fighting each other, as well as engaging my decoys...  It was an unusual experience with lots of action and commotion going on around me...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2020, 10:37:33 AM »
I've used them in the past but have become much more successful without them. I hunt timber for the most part and used them when I really didn't need to and it cost me in my early years. I really enjoy killing a bird over a Jake/tom decoy but the only time they are with me is when I'm hunting a field.

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2020, 01:41:15 PM »
I'll use them in a field, usually just two hen decoys.  I have a jake and full strut but rarely pull them out. 

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2020, 11:38:59 AM »
Here's a post I started a while ago, if you are still considering.

And this is in the "Yes" category, not to say needed for every hunt/situation but a tool in the shed.

(DSD Decoys YES!!)
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,70971.0.html

MK M GOBL

Offline hotspur

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2020, 04:06:13 PM »
If I were hunting a field I would put out a decoy.

Offline Brwndg

« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2020, 04:16:58 PM »
I carry one and use it if the situation feels right for it. I like them when it’s a slow day and I set up in a known hangout. Put out the deke and call every thirty minute or so. Killed a few that way.

Actually had one come in silent to a deke on an old road. Just happened to awaken from my nap at 1000 and he was strutting around the hen deke.
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend