OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

In a NF at first lite, almost surrounded Gobbling birds?

Started by Red Huck, April 11, 2020, 11:28:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Huck

Pick one bird an try to get closer? I've blow this situation more than I like to think about. Latest was yesterday have not hunted turkey in 2 years, but I have time ,working half week due to covid-19. Been trying spots I've found birds before. Went down a fire trail near river, old beaver ponds & creek. As it gets a little lighter, I stop and listen, off to my left I hear a hen lightly yelping. I stand and listen a while then move down the trail 75- 100 yards.  Then two birds gobble at maybe 100-150 yds toward the creek, then 1 at 200 toward the river, another down the river 250-300 yrds and another back past where I heard the hen maybe 300 yds. What would you turkey killers do?

HookedonHooks

I would try and put myself in a position between at least two birds in a way in which you think at least one will likely come by your set up, and call minimally. When you're surrounded, the patience game pays off far more than honing in on one bird and bumping many others accidentally in the process.

g8rvet

Perfect: In between gobbler and hens
Ideal: In between 2 gobblers
Excellent: In between gobbler and where he wants to be.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Red Huck

Never could figure out where these NF birds go after fly down. Found them with the girls, dusting on gravel roads, eating bugs or nuts. But they usually go silent and where they disappear to, especially now that there are so many coyotes?

Red Huck

One thing, they will  roost , in the same area for a while, ,if they are not pushed out.

silvestris

Quote from: Red Huck on April 11, 2020, 12:17:54 PM
[E]specially now that there are so many coyotes?

And Saldu.  Man, the woods are full of Saldu.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

GobbleNut

I'm a firm believer in the notion that if you have two or more gobblers roosted together that they are likely to be two-year-olds and are going to be more inclined to come to your calling than single gobblers are.  That is not always the case, but it is often enough to make that assumption as a starting point.  In your situation, I would probably set up closest to the pair of gobblers to begin with (assuming I was just trying to kill any gobbler). 

Regardless, if you have no competition for those birds,...and if you are able to hunt multiple days for them, you should be able to kill one of them by hunting carefully, taking note of their patterns and habits on a daily basis, and then just sticking with the program until you have them figured out. 

Now, if you have competition, all bets are off.  You may have to quickly figure them out, get aggressive, and get one of them killed before they are completely spooked off of their regular routine. 

Beards and Hooks

Quote from: Red Huck on April 11, 2020, 11:28:25 AM
Pick one bird an try to get closer? I've blow this situation more than I like to think about. Latest was yesterday have not hunted turkey in 2 years, but I have time ,working half week due to covid-19. Been trying spots I've found birds before. Went down a fire trail near river, old beaver ponds & creek. As it gets a little lighter, I stop and listen, off to my left I hear a hen lightly yelping. I stand and listen a while then move down the trail 75- 100 yards.  Then two birds gobble at maybe 100-150 yds toward the creek, then 1 at 200 toward the river, another down the river 250-300 yrds and another back past where I heard the hen maybe 300 yds. What would you turkey killers do?

Wow Huck that is great sounds like you were surrounded by birds. I would have found a good spot around where your and called every 10-15 minutes. Hope it ended well for you!

TauntoHawk

Quote from: g8rvet on April 11, 2020, 11:47:45 AM
Perfect: In between gobbler and hens
Ideal: In between 2 gobblers
Excellent: In between gobbler and where he wants to be.
Spot on. It the between 2 gobblers situation try only answering one bird, often there other is the one to make a move in first

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

dzsmith

If you have one within 150...then that's the direction id head if you could get slightly closer. But if you have 4-5 birds within 300 yards of you all are fair game and workable from that distance. sounds to me like you should have just picked tree and sat down. or like the first line I wrote, slip a little closer to the first one if you could. 100-150 to me is that magic distance.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Red Huck

I found a tree an sat down with the fire trail out front facing toward the two closest birds , made some lite yelps and waited. One bird answered my calls once.it was one of the farthest birds, beyond the hen. I've had many of these birds come in without making a sound so I wait and called about every 15 minutes. I waited a little over an hour. The birds were a no show. I'll be back an come in from the creek bottom and see what happens.

GobbleNut

Hope you have time to hunt and figure them out,...and that you don't end up having competition on public ground.  Can't say for sure, but it sounds to me like you might be being too patient and not hunting as aggressively as you might.  Don't be afraid to call if a gobbler answers and acts interested. 

As we have said before, being too passive in your calling (and relocating) approach can be just as bad as being too aggressive.  Find that "happy median" they want to hear and you should get in the game. 

1iagobblergetter