News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

A Truly Exciting Hunt in NC Kansas

Started by Dermott, March 05, 2020, 08:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dermott

:turkey:
I have had several memorable hunts that I still recall often but this story one of my favorites. Although I prefer to hunt with a friend, my buddy started going on pay hunts in Oklahoma & Iowa. I decided to hunt NC Kansas in a county where we had success in the past. The first day I only saw 1 Jake & a few hens. The next morning I hunted for 6 hours and it was slow again. I did find a roost area and decided to set up near it for the afternoon although I had not heard or seen any come from the roost the day before.

Late afternoon I saw 3-4 turkeys crossing a large field about 200 yards away coming to the wood line where I was set up with an aggressive looking Jake & a Avian X hen decoy about 20 yards in the field. In a few minutes 15-20 hens & several gobblers were about 200 yards out in the field 150-200 yards to be right. I yelped & clucked a few times to get their attention and when they got near the wood line & saw my decoys they turned my way.  I positioned my shotgun, called lightly & waited for them and 9 gobblers were out front. At about 70 yards all 9 Toms ran full speed and attacked the jake decoy & knocked over the hen decoy down. I could not determine which had best beard so finally aimed at one that had a huge neck & beard. When I fired 2 big gobblers went down & I was tagged out.

Of course I called my buddy that was on the pay hunt in Oklahoma!  :funnyturkey:

Dermott

It is about a 9 1/2 hours drive from my home in Bentonville, Arkansas to that farm but I would gladly drive up except it has been leased by someone. ????