turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

SX3 vs SA-459 20ga Which One?

Started by squid, May 02, 2019, 04:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squid

Ready to buy a new 20 gauge rig for the 2020 season.   

I have it narrowed down to either the SX3 Long Beard or the SA-459 Turkey.    I have a good line on a discounted SX3 for about $900 to my door.   The SA-459 is a lot cheaper, but appears that they no longer exist for sale in the real word.   Been trying to find one in stock somewhere for about a month now with no luck.

One requirement for me is the pistol grip stock, been using one for years, and will never go back to a traditional stock for turkey hunting.

So my question is which gun would you pick and why?

deadbuck

I have owned the SA459 and it handles good but got rid of it. On the one I had the front sight was very tall and cant be removed. Although it says Weatherby on the side I don't think that means Weatherby quality on this model that is made for them overseas.

Reloader

Both are great guns, I've had 3 Weatherby autos and 3 Win autos. The Win is a better gun, but heavier. I love the light weight of the 459 and it has never let me down, but the Win is much better quality. If you can get the win for 900, it'd be a no brainer for me as long as the weight isn't an issue. An even better option would be to buy both :D

squid

I like the idea of both! 

So I grabbed the SX3, I had a coupon for an additional 50 off, so to my door it was $849.99 to my door.   FFL transfer will add another 25 to the deal.

I think I will keep watching for a SA-459 this summer.   I'm new to the 20 gauge arena, so having a backup sounds like a great idea

Reloader

Sweet! You made a great choice, but there was no wrong choice. Great price as well.

squid

Now that the gun is on its way what do y'all recommend for choke tubes.

Naturally I'll start out testing with the included Briley (I believe is a .570) but may switch depending on how it patterns.

I've got Winchester LB in #6  and Federal TSS in #9  to pattern.

yelpaholic

my sa 459 is the newer version had it three seasons.  handles an operates flawlessly. killed a pile of birds with it.   tss 9s

nmsshooter

I have several chokes that I have tried with hand loaded #9 tss.
All shoot high out of my gun but the 562 ic shoots a great pattern. I found a 555 Jebs and it's a very hot core good pattern if that's what your after, it's shot left of poa in my gun.
I also have a primos titewad that shoots a very respectable hunting pattern, about 280 in the ten if I remember correctly.

squid

I have a carlson TSS .565 on the way.   So will see what that does along with the factory tube.  Will also be adding a red dot, I have both a burris FF and a Sig Romeo waiting to call one of my guns home  :happy0064:

Fullfan

That is a smoking deal if it is an X3 long beard, I gave 1250 and 1170 for each  of mine.  I also have a Sa459,  I have killed a bunch with the Sa459 and only 3 with the X3. Both guns shoot hand loaded tss very well.  Sumtoy in the Sa and Indian Creek .555 or the Truelock .585 in the x3.

Of the two guns I like the Sa over the X3, gun is lighter and just seems to feel better when in the woods. Daughter smashed a gobbler this morning at 36 yds, she is in love with the X3.
Don't gobble at me...

squid

I setup the gun with a Sig Romeo 5 and got it dialed in with dove loads.

First rounds of patterning are with the included choke and Winchester LB #6 1 1/4 oz

Not impressed with the factory choke and the LB #6 performance.     Next chance I get will be tossing federal TSS #9's with a Carlson TSS .565

LB pattern results attached.

Fullfan

TSS will be your new best friend.  Handloading is the way to go.  Chat with Reloaded..
Don't gobble at me...