OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Late Season Decoy Setups  (Read 3355 times)

Offline MOOSE

Late Season Decoy Setups
« on: May 02, 2019, 01:19:28 PM »
What is everybody's late season decoy setups? Is it time to start leaving the Jake at home?

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
Re: Late Season Decoy Setups
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 02:37:25 PM »
Killed one of my best birds on a late season hunt using my White Headed Strutter, hay was high and couldn't see much more than a fan. It worked, I knew this bird and he was the Boss, played my game knowing this.

I do not use a flock during late season, just learn to match what you are seeing with your local birds.

MK M GOBL

Offline Tailwalk

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 09:35:38 AM »
Solo avian x lookout hen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jryser

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 10:11:11 PM »
Couldn’t sell any Tom on single hen here in KY. Added a strutter today and that was the ticket. BOOM!

Offline TRG3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 01:02:57 AM »
I used a Pretty Boy full strutter with a standing hen to bring in a dominant gobbler at 6 a.m this morning after he first gobbled some 200 yards away at 4:55 a.m., just as I was setting out my decoy set. A subordinate bird started in first but about 70 yards he hung up, eventually stepping aside as the strutter came on it. He started to skirt around me and go into the wood line, making me take the 50 yard shot left handed instead of how I'd set up for a right handed shot. The 22# was a nice load the 1/4 mile back to the truck.

Offline Brian811

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 10:07:36 PM »
Strutter works good for me.

Offline Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 02:48:40 PM »
Dsd Jake is my go to, usually with a lay down hen but not always.

Offline bonasa

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 08:29:24 AM »
Depends, sometimes late season I find a group of 2yo playing graba$$ in a recently mowed or disced field for a couple of days, so I will put out the lone submissive jake and that brings them in. Typically during late season I will put out 1 or sometimes 2 feeder hens in areas where the long beard will fly down to or can see from his roost, nothing out of the ordinary and he will come to join them.

Offline Manoflaw

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 09:02:35 PM »
It may just be the areas I hunt, but I have found that a strutter or 3/4 strut jake and a laydown hen work really well all season long for me. I don't use decoys a ton, but almost every time I have had a bird where he could see that setup he has come running in.

Offline valerio024

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 09:07:21 PM »
I had a DSD 3/4 Strut Jake over a lay down hen out this morning in Ohio and a 4+ yo bird (1.5 inch spurs) came running in to thump on the Jake.

Offline KZONE

Late Season Decoy Setups
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 07:27:45 PM »

This is a killer setup has not failed me yet. Had to straighten all the deeks as  this Tom and 1other had them all beat up. Jake is usually tighter on hen. 

Offline Manoflaw

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 09:34:46 PM »
I'm with KZone ^^^

Offline valerio024

Late Season Decoy Setups
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 10:11:10 PM »
This is a killer setup has not failed me yet. Had to straighten all the deeks as  this Tom and 1other had them all beat up. Jake is usually tighter on hen. 

I referred to a very similar set up.  DSD Jake over DSD mating hen.  In Ohio I have had good success later in the season with this set up.  On May 9th 2018 and May 13th 2019, Toms have literally come running in to thump on the jake.  The jake is spun around in this picture from being hit by the dead Tom behind him.