OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: hiding blinds  (Read 8033 times)

Offline tnanh

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: hiding blinds
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2019, 03:39:10 PM »
I am not a great turkey hunter but one thing I do know is that if you spook the deer the deer will spook the turkey.

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2020, 08:00:01 PM »
I agree with sir, wear black in the blind. funny story I only use a blind if it is going to be bad weather and I want to hunt, one night it was a big storm come though and it had quit before the morning hunt and after not hearing any off the roost I moved to where the blind was and it was in my neighbors field rolling around  after the storm had blown it away and a gobbler was strutting around it with his hens.

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2020, 06:14:53 PM »
It isn't necessary to brush in a blind for hunting turkeys.  Put them out and hunt them, turkeys don't care.  Several good tips is wear black to conceal yourself, don't let sunlight hi lite you in the blind,  move back in the blind, stay away from the windows, wear facepaint or a facemask and only open windows as needed.  Keep movement inside to a minimum.  Blinds help us kill birds but they aren't fool proof.

Offline Twowithone

• Longbeard
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2020, 12:01:26 PM »
I dont brush my blind in when I use it and thats not very often.The deer are very curious sometimes they try to stick their snouts in the window.   :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2020, 06:24:56 PM »
By the way, blind may be higher that it appears in your scope, shot a hole in mine this spring when I took my first turkey.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2020, 10:22:03 AM »
By the way, blind may be higher that it appears in your scope, shot a hole in mine this spring when I took my first turkey.

There’s no “appearing” higher though you’re giving sound advice. Your scope would sit higher. Imagine if you looked through a 2” hole. Your scope would be in it but your barrel being 2” lower would be obstructed. Same for blinds, cover, horizontal logs, etc. we need to think of clearance. Good advice though

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2020, 10:27:41 AM »

There’s no “appearing” higher though you’re giving sound advice. Your scope would sit higher. Imagine if you looked through a 2” hole. Your scope would be in it but your barrel being 2” lower would be obstructed. Same for blinds, cover, horizontal logs, etc. we need to think of clearance. Good advice though
Blind appeared to be much lower so yea there is there is. I know what you are saying though. I got my first turkey though so I do not care about the small hole, shot was still pretty tight at that distance. :D
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2020, 10:30:07 AM »
I’m glad ya got em buddy

Offline Harty

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2020, 02:35:34 PM »
It isn't necessary to brush in a blind for hunting turkeys.  Put them out and hunt them, turkeys don't care.  Several good tips is wear black to conceal yourself, don't let sunlight hi lite you in the blind,  move back in the blind, stay away from the windows, wear facepaint or a facemask and only open windows as needed.  Keep movement inside to a minimum.  Blinds help us kill birds but they aren't fool proof.

This. Great tips.I’m fairly new to blind hunting and can put them in the middle of a field and don’t seem to have a problem on public or private in Wisconsin. Birds hang up and get skiddish (very neurotic birds)for various reasons. It’s not necessarily the blind.

Offline Struthunter

• Osceola Head Hunter
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2020, 03:13:50 PM »
Completely Cover It Even The Top

Online Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2020, 01:33:06 AM »
Are you sure they aren’t seeing you moving in the blind?
Or hearing you???  Hunters often seem to love talking in a blind...  "Hey!  You see that bird over there?"  (Grabbing his buddy and pointing).

Often, it seems like hunters in a blind think that they cannot be seen or heard....  While a blind can help hide you, they are not magical barriers to sight and sound.

I have no doubt that highly pressured birds that have seen "boom-sticks" go off from a blind are more wary of them though.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2020, 01:51:10 AM »
Are you sure they aren’t seeing you moving in the blind?
Or hearing you???  Hunters often seem to love talking in a blind...  "Hey!  You see that bird over there?"  (Grabbing his buddy and pointing).

Often, it seems like hunters in a blind think that they cannot be seen or heard....  While a blind can help hide you, they are not magical barriers to sight and sound.

I have no doubt that highly pressured birds that have seen "boom-sticks" go off from a blind are more wary of them though.
I do wear black in the blind when I am hunting from the waist up seeing that the blind has a blackened interior. I had a friend get in my blind once and with camo on and I walked until I was able to see him which wound up being further out than I thought. I then had him put on black and did the same thing and I had to get much closer to see them in black. Also be sure to not silhouette yourself with the windows, close those that are not in the direction you intend to shoot.

John Koenig:

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2020, 02:41:52 PM »
I’ll throw them out and not worry about brushing them in at all.

Offline rifleman

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2020, 08:05:36 PM »
I feel as long as they do not detect movement them will go right past the blind.  I've had them go past a deer bling close enough to touch if I was quick enough.  I know of one case when a turkey was called right up to a butterscotch Chevy pickup in VA.

Offline Here turkey turkey turkey

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2020, 08:27:34 PM »
I personally do not have a need for a blind. I run and gun and a blind would just be in the way. But I imagine tons of people have success with them.
To disarm the people...Is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason, referencing advice given to the British Parliament by Pennsylvania governor Sir William Keith, The Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adooption of the Federal Constitution, June 14, 1788