turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Remington V3 turkey pro and Apex shell blew up

Started by JD, May 01, 2019, 03:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD

I cut there shell open and it had 44.6 gr of what looks exactly like Lil gun. I have never used 300mp, does anyone no if it looks identical to Lil gun? If it is Lil gun than the load is pretty much the same as mine, except I use 43 gr. and a different wad (they use TPS 1275) I can't tell you what I use because I get load data from Hal, and he asked I don't share info. So I don't know why my loads are fine and there's blew up unless they are using 300mp

drakehammer

300MP is clearly finer and I'd say "shinier" in appearance than lil gun. Sounds like you have a lil gun load.

Hal is my dealer too. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drakehammer

I wonder what kind of guns were used in the other reported incidents???

Its very possible that there was nothing "wrong" with the Apex load or your V3. The combination however seems to create a borderline functionality issue. 

DrDirtNap

I have a Weatherby SA459 semi auto gas operated and I've shot several different TSS recipes from Hal that call for different powders. 

My gun handles everything well except recipes that call for MP300.  I had to completely avoid those.  Recipes that called for MP300 were blowing the bolt handle out, burning the the hull ends and fire was flying out of the barrel.  I never had anything happen to a hull like the picture posted but it was bad enough for me to avoid that powder.   Burns too slow for my gun.

My gun performs flawlessly with other recipes that use different powder.

wchadw

Quote from: drakehammer on May 02, 2019, 11:17:11 AM

Its very possible that there was nothing "wrong" with the Apex load or your V3. The combination however seems to create a borderline functionality issue. 

i saw something similar on facebook a couple of months ago.  i will see if i can find the post and see what gun the guy was shooting.  the pic of shell looked similar?

wchadw

Quote from: wchadw on May 02, 2019, 12:02:55 PM
Quote from: drakehammer on May 02, 2019, 11:17:11 AM

i saw something similar on facebook a couple of months ago.  i will see if i can find the post and see what gun the guy was shooting.  the pic of shell looked similar?

looks like from the post from "Koby" (don't know if this is same exact thing on a different forum) that it was either a V3 or 1187. i will post screenshots from FB

wchadw

I marked thru last name and pic

drakehammer

I don't think it's a design flaw or a mfg defect.  Seems like Remington just never anticipated the use of these heavy payloads and massive slow burning powder charges.  Tighten those gas ports up and the problem probably goes away.

Divenut2

Almost looks like it was fired out of battery. Maybe?  :-\
Love fishing and Deer hunting (Shotgun, Muzzleloader & Pistol). Recently became addicted to Turkey Hunting.

wchadw

Quote from: wchadw on May 01, 2019, 07:39:18 PM
Quote from: USMC0331 on May 01, 2019, 06:50:50 PM
The newer Remington autos have been having problems with Nitro and apex ammo. I beleive it's the extractor and the bolt not being fully into battery. It is also my understanding Remington knows about it and is fixing the problem if sent to them. I would call apex and have them tell you why they say it is the gun then contact Remington.  I load and shoot Nitro and Apex in several different Mossberg,  870s, and BPS with no issues.
I thought modern shotguns wouldn't fire if they weren't in battery

i actually tired this (dry fire) on by Benelli SBE3 that has the new parts to fix the "benelli click" so i had to hold the action back to get it slightly out of battery but it fired the pin.  i guess if the firing pin is long enough out of the action it could fire if it was knocked or held out of battery.  i don't know.  this is kinda scary to think it would blow up if the action was closed...

BINK McCARTY

Quote from: drakehammer on May 01, 2019, 04:00:17 PM
You had an Apex load blow up on you?  Please post a pic. I'm betting you really mean you had a choke failure or barrel failure or combo. Pro-bore thread design is weak.  Anyway show us the problem.

[/quo

te]

The V3 uses the Rem-choke threads ,not the pro-bore. Which I'm glad of cuz ima' getting ready to pick one up!!!!

Reloader

This is an over gassed situation. Too much gas is being applied to the system under a longer dwell time than what it was designed for. This causes the bolt to move too soon and start opening before the wad has exited the bbl. Unfortunately most autos can't be adjusted for this, but many can.

The powder is not 300MP, it's not optimum for 12ga and that payload.

drakehammer

Got plenty of 300MP load data for 12ga.  Lil Gun and 296 load data too.

drakehammer

Quote from: BINK McCARTY on May 02, 2019, 07:28:22 PM
Quote from: drakehammer on May 01, 2019, 04:00:17 PM
You had an Apex load blow up on you?  Please post a pic. I'm betting you really mean you had a choke failure or barrel failure or combo. Pro-bore thread design is weak.  Anyway show us the problem.

[/quo

te]

The V3 uses the Rem-choke threads ,not the pro-bore. Which I'm glad of cuz ima' getting ready to pick one up!!!!
Woops. My mistake. Thinking Versamax and Pro bore.

Now, wtf would you want with a V3 when you already have much better options?  Shouldn't you be accumulating some TSS shot and components instead? Lol.

Reloader

Quote from: drakehammer on May 02, 2019, 10:15:24 PM
Got plenty of 300MP load data for 12ga.  Lil Gun and 296 load data too.

Must be for some very heavy loads. I've not went slower than LG and 2400 in my 12ga loads because they are plenty slow enough. Those are slow enough for 2.5oz. 296 has been borderline in 12 due to poor ignition even with the much higher pressure producing 12g/cc shot, but works great in 20 or below. A friend sent some heavy 300mp loads in for 12 and the ignition was not consistent as there were big variances in psi. It will work, but it's far from optimum.  I highly doubt you'll see a mass produced TSS load with 300mp. Now with Hevi, that's a different subject.