turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Remington V3 turkey pro and Apex shell blew up

Started by JD, May 01, 2019, 03:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD

I just bought a V3 turkey pro and love it, except I had an Apex 3" 2 oz load blow up on me. I emailed Apex and they said it was the guns fault, and they have had 3 reports of there shells blowing up in the V3. Has anyone else with a V3 had this happen. Other than this I really like the gun, I load my own TSS and have not had my shells do this. It patterns really good with everything I've tried in it so far with the factory choke and Indian Creek and pure gold 670. Anyway I wouldn't recommend Apex shells if you have a V3 or any gun since I haven't had it happen with any other load.

drakehammer

You had an Apex load blow up on you?  Please post a pic. I'm betting you really mean you had a choke failure or barrel failure or combo. Pro-bore thread design is weak.  Anyway show us the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reloader

That's happened quite a bit over the last year with Apex.  Someone is going to get hurt bad before it's all said and done.

Turkeytider

Remington needs to know that and pronto. By the way, not saying that it was necessarily the gun`s fault.

donjuan

What exactly happened by saying that the shell blew up?
Whoever said you can't kill em from the couch never was good enough to call a gobbler into the living room

wchadw

Following. I used some apex this year. They are a MS company so I am trying to support but this is 3rd thing like this I have seen

USMC0331

The newer Remington autos have been having problems with Nitro and apex ammo. I beleive it's the extractor and the bolt not being fully into battery. It is also my understanding Remington knows about it and is fixing the problem if sent to them. I would call apex and have them tell you why they say it is the gun then contact Remington.  I load and shoot Nitro and Apex in several different Mossberg,  870s, and BPS with no issues.

LaLongbeard

I'd like to know also what you mean by blowup. Every issue I've heard about Nitros or now Apex involves semi autos. I don't see how Apex could stay in business if there's something wrong with there shells.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

wchadw

Quote from: USMC0331 on May 01, 2019, 06:50:50 PM
The newer Remington autos have been having problems with Nitro and apex ammo. I beleive it's the extractor and the bolt not being fully into battery. It is also my understanding Remington knows about it and is fixing the problem if sent to them. I would call apex and have them tell you why they say it is the gun then contact Remington.  I load and shoot Nitro and Apex in several different Mossberg,  870s, and BPS with no issues.
I thought modern shotguns wouldn't fire if they weren't in battery

JD

I tried attaching a pic, not sure if it is going to work

drakehammer

Quote from: JD on May 02, 2019, 10:06:14 AM
I tried attaching a pic, not sure if it is going to work
Ahhhh. I stand corrected. My apologies. Definitely a serious issue there.  Still not sure if its the gun or the shell as there are a couple of scenarios that come to mind.  Can we see the damage to the gun please? 

Glad you are no worse for the wear. That is scary for sure.

JD

Apex said it was the slow burning powder they use which causes the bolt to start to come back before the powder has completely burnt. They say this is a problem with the gun but I have not had any other shells do this including my TSS handloads which use Lil gun and is about the slowest powder I know of for loading TSS.

JD

I'm really not trying to put Apex down, I just don't know why it would only happen with there shell. I only bought them to see how they compared to my loads, which they don't at all but that could have been because of the hull failure.

drakehammer

Quote from: JD on May 02, 2019, 10:11:32 AM
Apex said it was the slow burning powder they use which causes the bolt to start to come back before the powder has completely burnt. They say this is a problem with the gun but I have not had any other shells do this including my TSS handloads which use Lil gun and is about the slowest powder I know of for loading TSS.
Not saying they are correct but I can see their point.  The gun is gas operated.  As you know, you have a ton of gas with those high powder charge loads. So the bolt moving before complete ignition is plausible. The bolt moving the shell to out of battery leaves the shell unsupported. Then hull failure occurs. They may be using 300MP which is even slower than lil gun as well.

drakehammer

Quote from: JD on May 02, 2019, 10:20:00 AM
I'm really not trying to put Apex down, I just don't know why it would only happen with there shell. I only bought them to see how they compared to my loads, which they don't at all but that could have been because of the hull failure.
Cut one of their's open and weigh the powder charge and the shot charge. Does the powder look like lil gun or what?