OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: I'm done  (Read 2755 times)

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
I'm done
« on: May 01, 2019, 03:13:43 PM »
Well guys, sorry I couldn't make more of a contribution, but I am happy to have at least gotten one.
My Florida season was a bust. Got drawn for 2 hunts. FWC decided to have the 1st WMA I got drawn for logged starting a week before the season opened. >:(  I scouted the place anyway and found absolutely zero turkey sign. I didn't even waste my time hunting it with skidders in the woods hacking down trees, and logging trucks roaring up and down the roads. ::) The 2nd WMA I got drawn was previously my favorite place to hunt in FLA. I've been there many times over the years, killed a dozen gobblers there, and guided several friends to their birds there, including Hayudog last year. This year they hired a brand new biologist who changed everything up on the WMA. Very little controlled burns, and all the fields and food plots were planted with a mix of oats and other plants that grew anywhere from thigh to chest deep. ::) Needless to say, the turkeys didn't go into that stuff, and you couldn't see them if they were behind it. The biologist chick told me she planted that due to a shrinking turkey population so that the turkeys could feed and nest in the tall plants. I have no clue where this bimbo went to school at. ??? Hens aren't going to nest in that, it's way too accessible and there is predator scat everywhere. The turkeys aren't going to hang out eating in a field that can easily hide predators either. Plus, they are doing no predator or poacher control. Great management plan FWC!! NOT!!! ::) Enough of that rant. :character0029:
I was fortunate to get my bird the 2nd day of the season in SC. The gobblers, as they often are, were henned up bad most of the season. SC doesn't allow any hen harvest, and there are hens everywhere. By the time I went up for my last hunt of the season, the hens were finally nesting, but the gobblers were mostly silent, and only sparsely gobbling on the roost when they did.
Georgia, Alabama and Kansas invites fell through yet again.
Then I had to cut my season short due to my upcoming total shoulder replacement surgery next week. I have doc appointments this week, and lots to do in preparation for becoming a temporary cripple. ;D
So, if nothing else, I heard lots of gobbling, had some exciting hunts, and got a gobbler on a super exciting hunt. So I guess I can't complain. Definitely better than my last 2 seasons!! ;) Plus, I'll have plenty of time while I'm laid up to plan some good hunts for the next 2 years.  :icon_thumright:
So best of luck to the rest of the team. I hope you guys score on some good ones!! :fud: :turkey: :turkey: :turkey: :turkey: :turkey: :turkey: :turkey: Surgery is on May 7th, so I'll be doped up for a few days. Once I'm feeling more alert and oriented ;) ;D I'll check in on y'all, and hopefully have some adjustments to make to our team scores.
Schwack some gobblers, and above all else, be safe brothers!! :police: :firefighter:

Offline WildSpur

• Longbeard
Re: I'm done
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 03:37:44 PM »
Good luck on your surgery.   I cant wrap my head around being done already!...our season just started this past Saturday.   

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

Offline Mountainburd

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 07:53:21 PM »
Good luck with the surgery rut. One bird is better than no birds.

Offline TrackeySauresRex

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 10:58:37 PM »
Wishing you well JimBo. Always a great job With the team Cap.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 04:22:58 PM »
Good luck on your surgery.   I cant wrap my head around being done already!...our season just started this past Saturday.
Thanks brother!! Yeah, it's the down side of hunting in Dixie. You start before everyone else, but also end sooner too.

Good luck with the surgery rut. One bird is better than no birds.
Thanks brother!! Don't I know that after the last 2 seasons? ;)

Wishing you well JimBo. Always a great job With the team Cap.
Thanks Johnny!!

Offline Will

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 09:07:21 PM »
Good Luck and hoping for a speedy recovery!

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 08:16:34 PM »
Congrats on the bird you did get man. And here’s to a speedy recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Twowithone

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019, 08:15:49 AM »
Good luck on your surgery next week Rut. Have a bud retired fireman from Florida up gobbler hunting he had total right shoulder replaced in Sept 18 hes out hunting and enjoying. For what its worth he said listen to your therapist they know what their doing and dont over do it. So again Rut good luck and a speedy and great recovery.   :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2019, 11:53:40 AM »
Good luck on your surgery next week Rut. Have a bud retired fireman from Florida up gobbler hunting he had total right shoulder replaced in Sept 18 hes out hunting and enjoying. For what its worth he said listen to your therapist they know what their doing and dont over do it. So again Rut good luck and a speedy and great recovery.   :firefighter:
I plan on following the program to the T. I'm so over being in pain, and not being able to do the things I enjoy doing. So I'm going to be a good boy, do exactly what I'm supposed to do and nothing more. I want this to go perfectly so I can get back to being myself, and enjoying life. Thanks brother!!