OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Late Season Tactics  (Read 5015 times)

Offline shaman

• Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries
Late Season Tactics
« on: April 30, 2019, 09:55:20 AM »
The Shamanic Dream Team is heading into the last week of KY's Spring Gobbler Season with quite a few tags to fill.  I thought I'd bring up the topic of late season tactics.

Me?  I pretty much hide in the bushes and call lightly.  I figure the hens are not going to be all that demonstrative now, and the trick will be finding a gob that still has enough vim left to chance a blind date. 

What are your late season tactics?
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
Re: Late Season Tactics
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 12:25:12 PM »
Gobble more, other then that get tighter to the roost and I also tend to hunt more aggressively.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 11:46:43 PM »
My late season tactics are pretty much the same as my early and mid-season tactics.  Find a gobbler that wants to play the game, carry on a conversation with him, and try to convince him to meet face to face.  If they don't want to do that, they can just stay out there in the turkey woods as far as I am concerned.

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 12:55:44 AM »
Late in the season, I am more apt to travel after that gobble...

Outside of being a bit less aggressive on the call, I do not change much.  Early in the season, I am often trying to tee off a hen to bring a tom in tow, and I will cut and yelp quite aggressively.  Later in the season, I will often park in spots of confidence and utilize more subtle calling for longer periods...

Before deciding to leave, I might try some aggressive and lonely yelping or even a gobble or two.  I also backtrack over areas (as I have found that sometimes birds end up where you were earlier looking for that hen).

If we have a late spring storm, I am apt to try to hunt right after it clears (as it seems to me that nesting hens might lose a nest in a good storm and be back on the prowl).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 04:21:35 PM »
1. Find a Turkey
2. Get in a good killing spot as close to him as possible.
3. Call to him and get him worked up so he does something stupid.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 as necessary until successful or run out of time

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Harty

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 08:29:49 AM »
I feel birds are dispersed and spread out more by late season so I move more covering more ground looking for that hot Tom. I tone down my calling or at least try and mimic the hens calling if they are vocal.

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 08:43:48 AM »
Aside from the light calling, cover more ground, I also try the deer hunt method.  Set up where you believe they want to be and don't call.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 05:46:36 PM »
1. Find a Turkey
2. Get in a good killing spot as close to him as possible.
3. Call to him and get him worked up so he does something stupid.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 as necessary until successful or run out of time

This.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Online High plains drifter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 12:33:21 AM »
Late in the season, the toms are dispersed more, they are not flocked up.I think they are easier to call in, late in the season
I have had more success late in the season. Also, you will find line toms, out looking for hens, in places where there is water. Maybe a small water hole, a pond, even a stock tank, or a spring.

Offline TRG3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 07:00:11 PM »
Over the years, I've found the late season to be the most productive since active gobblers are looking for ever decreasing hens wanting to breed. Often the dominate bird will still try to bring any hen to him but, given a few minutes or a couple of hours, will give in and go to the hen. For me, this is encouraged by my use of a gobble tube call which gives the impression that an intruder tom is trying to move in on a receptive hen. This worked for me the past Monday morning, taking about an hour from first gobble to the shot. I'm sure that my stutter decoy and accompanying hen helped sell the scenario to the real gobbler. It was necessary for this right handed person take the shot left handed, a shooting form which every hunter should practice doing.

Offline Jester87

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Arizona
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 11:48:01 PM »
My late season tactics are pretty much the same as my early and mid-season tactics.  Find a gobbler that wants to play the game, carry on a conversation with him, and try to convince him to meet face to face.  If they don't want to do that, they can just stay out there in the turkey woods as far as I am concerned.

Exactly this. :icon_thumright:

Offline Ctrize

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2019, 11:12:30 AM »
If hunting solo get close tone down calling, clucks single, double yelps scratching. If hunting with partner set up ambush shooter 30-40 yds in front of caller.

Offline Jrkimbrough

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2019, 08:06:30 AM »
Aside from the light calling, cover more ground, I also try the deer hunt method.  Set up where you believe they want to be and don't call.

Agreed!  Late season is also when I like to break out the different calls (trumpet, scratch box, etc.).  I've also for some reason had more success in the afternoons during late season as well.  Set up within 200 yards of roosting area and VERY lightly call and scratch in leaves.