OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Benellli m2 TSS - Need help/opinions  (Read 4946 times)

Offline Kyspurcollector

Benellli m2 TSS - Need help/opinions
« on: April 30, 2019, 09:16:24 AM »
I am shooting an m2 12g with a 24” barrel. I loaded up on federal tss and had a couple of chokes I was sure I’d be pleased with based on recommendations.  Shooting the 3” 1 3/4 oz federal tss loads out of a patternmaster code black .665, a Rob Roberts .660 (what RR recommended for my setup and was told I’d have a 6-8” pattern at 20 and 12-16” pattern at 40) and I also shot the factory full which comes in at like .684. I expected to see some differences between the different chokes. Result, not so much.

Also, I see guys getting way up in the 200 and even 300 hits in a 10” at 40 yards on here.

Do I need to go tighter on the choke like a 650?    Most of the patterns I see out of a .665 or .660 are much tighter than what I got.

Please help with any suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrustyRusty

Re: Benellli m2 TSS - Need help/opinions
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 09:47:22 AM »
7 or 9 shot?

Offline Kyspurcollector

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 10:14:57 AM »
Sorry, this was with the 9's

Offline taylorjones20

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 10:51:24 AM »
You really should draw your circle over the most dense part of the pattern and then count. 
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Offline Kyspurcollector

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 10:57:57 AM »
I realize this now, but drew my circles before shooting.  Even still, the patterns do not look like anything I am seeing from others on here with similar setups and I would not anticipate my numbers doubling at 40 yards by moving the circle.  Maybe I'm wrong.

Still looking for recommendations from a choke performance standpoint.  The .660, .665 and factory full dont look much different at all from 40 yards.  Is this what is expected from my setup?

Offline drakehammer

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 11:19:06 AM »
I realize this now, but drew my circles before shooting.  Even still, the patterns do not look like anything I am seeing from others on here with similar setups and I would not anticipate my numbers doubling at 40 yards by moving the circle.  Maybe I'm wrong.

Still looking for recommendations from a choke performance standpoint.  The .660, .665 and factory full dont look much different at all from 40 yards.  Is this what is expected from my setup?
Like the man said. Redraw your circle. You should see a significant # increase.  You cannot eyeball these things. Just doesn’t work well like that. Then you can talk about chokes. Until you know what you really have, everything else is hot air and speculation.

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 11:41:16 AM »
Yea. May be a POA/POI issue. I have sbe3 with 24 inch barrel using RR 660 and get pretty good result at 40 with tss 7x9

Offline Kyspurcollector

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 12:52:32 PM »
Thanks, I will redraw the circles and see what I come up with. 

wchadw - are your 20 yard patterns looking similar to mine?  i expected much tighter at 20.

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 01:00:52 PM »
You 20 yard patterns look closer to what I get at 35-40

Are you shooting #9s?

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 01:05:08 PM »

Top is RR 660 @ 40
Bottom is Jebs 665 @ 40
My dot was off a little right

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2019, 01:10:27 PM »

Top is RR 660 @ 40
Bottom is Jebs 665 @ 40
My dot was off a little right

These were nitro 7x9 3 inch loads

Offline taylorjones20

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 01:21:09 PM »
You can't fairly compare Nitro and Federal... 
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Offline Kyspurcollector

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2019, 01:45:05 PM »
Chad - Yes, I am shooting straight 9's.  And as you stated, I expected something more similar to my 20 yard pattern out at 40.

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2019, 05:28:48 PM »
I think first thing I would do is check poa/poi. I would get a big piece of butcher paper or something and shoot 3 shells at dot in middle and see if your poi is off?  If you are using a sight adjust if you are using bead you might need to shim your stock?

Offline outdoorsmen

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2019, 12:37:38 PM »
I disagree with the gun not shooting poi. You have a big enough piece of cardboard there to detect a concentration of pellets. The pattern is very even and spread out which leads me to believe that there is not going to be a cluster or center of pattern.  My gun was the same way. Barely over 200 and evenly spread out.  Do the math and count all the holes on the cardboard and compare it to how many pellets are in the shell.
Other pics I've seen are way tighter then yours or mine.  I'm not going to dwell on it. I'm happy tss didnt work for me, saves me money and headache. Plus I believe after shooting two shells of federal tss it cracked my choke tube. So now I got to get a new one.