turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Polish or not

Started by edward.penny, April 29, 2019, 08:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edward.penny

Is it really worth polishing a barrel? I have 2 12ga shotguns that I'm thinking of doing.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk

drakehammer

Sure if you're card shooting for $$$. Otherwise hell naw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taylorjones20

A good polishing will make it easier to clean down the road.  As far as for performance it's kind of a gamble. 50/50 chance it improves, 50/50 chance it hurts the patterns.  I done it on an 870 and it helped - it took out the machining marks from the factory.
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Reloader

If the bore is free of tooling marks to the naked eye when cleaned, I pattern first. If I don't get the desired result, then I polish. I only polish a bbl without shooting if it's visibly in poor condition.

diyj98

I polished my 11/87 and really couldn't see a difference.  With my next gun, I won't polish unless I'm just unhappy with the way it patterns stock.

limbhanger777

My SX4 seems to prefer a dirty barrel, after cleaning my pattern substantially opens up.

Ihuntoldschool

No. just another gimmick they came up with because they are running out of things to sell you. 

stinkpickle

Greg Massey

Gobble!

With todays shells and chokes I've not seen a need to.

1iagobblergetter

bbcoach

I am a polisher.  I shoot an 835 with 3 1/2" Hevi 7's and .670 Pure Gold choke and it has increased my numbers in 10 at 40.  My gun shoots better clean.  I polish my barrel every spring prior to the season.  When I did the initial polishing of the barrel, I probably polished it for 30 minutes to remove the machining marks.  My numbers jumped over 10%.  With TSS and today's chokes, I would say it isn't necessary. 

SumToy

If did correct it can help SOME barrels.   All the high end guns most the barrels are in fine shape.  You more want to clean it and get the oils out of it. 

Just remember you take a junk gun and turn into a good but can turn a good one into junk easier and faster.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

savduck

Polishing made an 870 I had shoot worse
Georgia Boy