OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: What choke to use for federal 3rd degree?  (Read 3780 times)

Offline JMalin

What choke to use for federal 3rd degree?
« on: April 29, 2019, 04:23:21 PM »
I’ve decided I want something a little more forgiving at close ranges than the longbeards I’ve been shooting.  What constriction should I be looking for in both 12 and 20 gauge and keep a respectable pattern out to 40?  Thanks
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 05:25:05 PM by JMalin »

Offline drakehammer

Re: What choke to use for federal 3rd degree?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 04:42:41 PM »
Skeet is pretty forgiving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline coonhunter

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 05:48:37 AM »
 It’s been my experience, that it don’t make much difference which you use for those shells. They throw a wide pattern no matter what!  I have never been able to get a decent 40 yr pattern with them. If I wanted a more forgiving pattern I would shoot the Winchester supremes or hevi 7 with like a .670 choke  or a little more open?
Joshua 24:15

Offline SoDak_JD

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 03:15:20 PM »
My 12ga is a Benelli Nova.  I used a Carlson's flush-mount Extra-Full (.685) and it worked very well.  Two years ago it was from about 15 yards.  Last year, it was 42 yards...both good solid kills.  Those were using the old ones without TSS or the new Flex wad.  I've shot the new ones this year and they seemed to pattern the same.

My 20ga. is a Remington 870 with Carlson's Extended Turkey Choke in .575.  It's a new gun this year so haven't had it out in the field yet.  I thought it patterned to my expectations from 20 and 40 yards but didn't take any pictures.  This is the current 3rd Degree with TSS and flex wad.

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 08:13:43 PM »
My 20ga. is a Remington 870 with Carlson's Extended Turkey Choke in .575.  It's a new gun this year so haven't had it out in the field yet.  I thought it patterned to my expectations from 20 and 40 yards but didn't take any pictures.  This is the current 3rd Degree with TSS and flex wad.

Tried the same 3rd degree 20 gauge load in my Mossberg 500, 22" barrel with the IC .555 and IC .562. I wasn't impressed with .562, but the .555 was a decent. No pics of the 3rd Degree, went to straight TSS 9s from there but I would hunt the .555 and 3rd Degree if I couldn't get TSS 9s.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer