turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wood for turkey calls

Started by Crazyfeather, April 28, 2019, 08:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazyfeather

Hey I've never made any turkey calls before but i got a buddy with a lathe and everything i need to use it i was wondering if anyone has used river birch before to make some pot calls or strikers. I just cut down 4 big river birch trees and saved the wood for em

yelpy

Cant hurt to try it.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

ol bob

Any wood will make a good turkey call but it has to be dry. air dry is better than kild dry.

gergg

Figure at least 1 year to air dry for every inch of thickness, and that is under ideal conditions.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

DerekDixon

If you want something that will make a decent call to start with that is cheap, use the 1x6 red oak boards you can get from Home Depot. I have been making some with that and have made some calls that have brought some birds in. If you are interested in it i can pm you some specs to get you started.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Quote from: ol bob on April 29, 2019, 01:08:17 PM
Any wood will make a good turkey call but it has to be dry. air dry is better than kild dry.

Anything from Bob I have to agree with or learn from.  River birch is probably not the best wood but if properly dried it could make a hen sound I reckon.  It depends on the type of call you are making also.   Is the wood being used for a friction surface or a pot body? 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Pooh4459

I think if I was going to wait a year or 2 for it to dry I would spend a few bucks on some decent wood blanks. Can get pot call blanks for a few bucks I think

ferocious calls

Find a mill close to you. Explain what you want. More than you can use may be considered scrap or they may have air dried stacks to choose from. Also air dried Hardwood firewood can be made into calls.

Yoder409

Bunch of good advice already given.

I make friction calls but do not consider myself a "callmaker".  Being the back that I am, I would suggest finding an air dried walnut 1x5 or 1x6 and starting there.  The Home Depot red oak will certainly work.  But I've found good sound easier to get from walnut.  Cherry and hard maple are also good and reasonably easy to get sounding good.  The very first pot I ever made was from a pressure treated 1x6 deck board.  That call could be taken to the woods and used to kill turkeys, no problem.  But it does NOT sound like a walnut call would.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

ferocious calls

The deals are all around us. We just need to have the word out that we are looking.

Got a call from a nieghbor last week about a walnut tree that had been cut to prevent damage. Another fella had offered 250. 00 for the tree. I went to see the tree and offered 300.00. Just had it milled yesterday into 450+ bf of mostly premium lumber. Mill man said 2k+ of value in it. Total expense was .80 a bf. That's a deal+.

I wait for the opportunity and jump when it comes. With this and what I have accumulated to date, it should last my lifetime.