turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Barrel length questions - 870

Started by Mossyballs, April 28, 2019, 07:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossyballs

I currently have an 870 wingmaster with an express supermag barrel. It started as a 28" barrel that I sent to sumtoy and had shortened to 23" and remchoke. With tss it shoots lights out at all ranges. My only issue is that I wish it was 21". I am thinking of sending back to sumtoy for shortening and rethread, but I'm scared of messing it up. With just a Truglo bead I am accurate to 40+ every time.

I also have a 20" barrel that has a sumtoy choke but does not shoot as well. Also I feel it has a good bit of muzzle flip. Are shorter barrels prone to muzzle jump?

Only reason I want shorter is that I like a handier gun in the woods.

Is it too much risk over 2" of maneuverability?

Clydetaylor1

I wouldn't think 2 inches is worth it.

Greg Massey

2 inch isn't going to make that much difference ... just shop around and find you another barrel if you want one shorter ... with a 21 inch barrel your still going to gain a inch or more with extend choke tube ... if that barrel is patterning like you want .. leave it alone is my suggestion ....

drakehammer

Quote from: Mossyballs on April 28, 2019, 07:56:35 PM
I also have a 20" barrel that has a sumtoy choke but does not shoot as well. Also I feel it has a good bit of muzzle flip. Are shorter barrels prone to muzzle jump?

Leave your 23" barrel alone and find a choke that your 20" barrel likes. Cheapest and easiest solution in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaLongbeard

If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?