OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Best afternoon hunt times  (Read 3026 times)

Offline RiverRoost

• The Boss Gobbler
Best afternoon hunt times
« on: April 28, 2019, 10:55:07 AM »
Opinions on whether you think it’s better to be afternoon hunt around lunch,1,2 o’clock if wait and get out around mid afternoon.

Offline Ctrize

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Best afternoon hunt times
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 01:17:51 PM »
Eleven to two then two hours before sun down where you can hunt all day.

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 03:55:50 PM »
Last couple hours before dark

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 04:39:53 PM »
When hens first start leaving to sit on the nest, about 10 AM seems to be the magic time in my area.

But, if I cannot be out at daylight, the best time to hunt is when I can...  Late morning/afternoon, any time I can drum up a gobble, I figure I have a good chance at him.

I hunt an area where birds roost and are around in the morning, but wander off the property mid to late morning (and return again in the evening)....  I hunt another area where I rarely hear early morning gobbles, but birds wander in late morning to early afternoon.

I feel the best time to hunt birds, is when they are in a particular area...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline Harty

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 06:27:32 PM »
  Unlike the morning I have not noticed any golden PM hours. My approach is get out there when time permits and try and find a hot bird. You just never know !

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 06:56:35 PM »
I feel the best time to hunt birds, is when they are in a particular area...
  Unlike the morning I have not noticed any golden PM hours. My approach is get out there when time permits and try and find a hot bird. You just never know !
Yep,...learning the habits of the turkeys you are hunting is the best way to figure out when the optimum times are to be focusing your hunting efforts in a given location.  For instance, hunting a roosting area during the middle of the day for turkeys that might be hanging around their feeding areas a half-mile away is a poor strategy. On the other hand, hunting that same feeding area when the birds are traveling to and from their roost site is just as bad a strategy.  The best strategy is to hunt either area when the birds are most likely to be there.

In answer to the initial question, I would say later afternoon is better than early afternoon, assuming you are focusing your efforts in the right places.  If you are doing that, it is just a matter of persistence,...combined with the right hunting/strategy for that particular place. 

It is possible to raise the interest of a gobbler at any time during the day,...if you are there when he decides he is in the mood,...hence, the need for persistence.  However, from my own personal experience, I would separate my preferred hunting times into three categories:
Best:  first light until noon
Second best:  4:00 (afternoon) until dark
Third best:  noon until 4:00

Offline RiverRoost

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 09:18:48 PM »
Thanks for the tips. It’s hard to pattern these birds as I’m currently flooded out from driving in to my club so you gotta boat to the road which has been a big hindrance in scouting this year and I am on several thousand acres in a continuous block so just like white tails in this situation it’s kinda hard to get a travel pattern down.

Offline Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 02:51:12 PM »
I think a lot depends on temps but I like 12-5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk