OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: On the board....  (Read 2336 times)

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
On the board....
« on: April 27, 2019, 01:53:21 PM »
...details to come. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: On the board....
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 02:37:29 PM »
Awesome! Congratulations

“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 03:23:54 PM »
Great! Awaiting details

Offline Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 07:47:59 PM »
Awesome!

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 11:15:00 PM »
Congrats!

Offline YoungbuckTX

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 08:33:33 AM »
nice. let's hear the story!
line 'em up

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
On the board....
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 01:40:12 PM »
Well, truth be told I filled a tag on 4/19 but was hoping for an upgrade to be honest with you.  Took my youngest with me while he was on Spring Break and set up in a blind on a hay field for a couple of hours before the rain that was forecasted started.  Around 8:20 a hen pitches across the small creek behind us and lands next to our decoys and mills around for a bit.  I have to get Jamison to sit still so we don’t spook her, I told him she might have company with her.  Sure enough a few minutes later I hear twigs snap and I see two white heads pop into view and I see they are both Jakes but they have that lookin’ for love posture about them so I look at Jamison and look back at the turkeys and tell him we’re going to go ahead and kill one.  Once they separate I let loose a load of TSS on the back one, he flops a little bit not much.  We high five and go out and get him, Jamison was tickled pink and ran right over to pick him up.

I was off all last week and a few birds were worked but no trigger pulled.  Saw a butt load of hens everyday, the hatch has definitely been good in our area the last few seasons.  I definitely need to fall hunt more, they definitely put a hurting on me this week.  I go back out this past Saturday for a couple of hours before my sons baseball game and sit in the blind in the same hayfield just on the opposite side of where I shot the Jake.  We had a wind advisory and this field is on the east side of the ridge so I felt it would be a little breezy but not 20 mile an hour gusts like the ridge tops were experiencing.  It was quiet at daylight so I settled in and called every 10-15 minutes and sipped on coffee.  At 8:30 I look across the field and I see movement and I can see a turkey coming out of the creek bottom into field, I pick up my glass call and yelp a few times and I see a dark blob come into view.  I just keep an eye on them and keep calling.  I lose sight of them as the grass is higher in part of the field so I can only see them when they raise their heads.  They get to 40 yards and one of them goes into strut and drops back out but then they cluster together and one of the three moves to the left out of sight.  The other two gobblers are Jakes and are in front of me at 25 yards so I know the one that went left is the mature bird.  I keep watching them and a hen that was with them walks past me, didn’t see her when they walked in.  I’m like where is he, I shift slightly in my chair and see him in full strut 20 yards away, I ease the gun up and as I getting it out the window I bump the blind but fortunately they don’t pay attention to it.  I get the scope on him and drop him like a box of rocks at 20, no flopping.  At 8:35 my second tag is filled with a nice gobbler.  I plan to hunt as much as work allows, we still have three weeks left.  Don’t know if I can upgrade from him.

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 01:54:13 PM »
Congrats, sounds like a lot of fun.

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 02:13:57 PM »
Cool beans!