OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Recurve  (Read 3065 times)

Offline frye1107

Recurve
« on: January 11, 2020, 10:57:24 PM »
Looking for recommendations on recurve bow that i could use for both deer and turkey. I also need some info on what arrow/board heads to use for turkey’s with recurve?

Would like to start out with a cheaper bow until I could get more experience shooting one. I hunt with a hoyt defiant (incorrect spelling) right now just want to give recurve hunting a try

Thanks for any help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
Re: Recurve
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 08:01:02 PM »
Little more info needed. Lots of guys will recommend a Sammick Sage. I’m a little different. I’d advise starting out light. Maybe 15-20 pounds lighter. Actually let me start at the beginning. You need to have proper form. No dead hands upon release. You need back tension applied.
You can only get this w proper form. You have no let off, so go light.
I’d recommend beman ics arrows. They’re relatively affordable and can take a beating. Broad heads for turkey and deer can be similar. Rothaar Snuffers were great, they’re not around anymore. If you can find a bunch get em.
VPA is too expensive but if money is easy for you, they’re good heads. I’d just use Zwickeys. They’re what I use, priced fairly. I use wood arrows so they’re the glue on style but whatever you use stykbow broadheads need to be cut on contact and the blades angled different so get a broad head designed for em.
For bows now I’d recommend the used market. The bows have depreciated a bit, you can sell em tomo, as long as you didn’t damage em, for the same price n go up weight as needed.
If you need help aiming/sighting look up gap which is similar to a compound pin sight if non adjustable or perhaps quicker might be a fixed crawl. Look em up.
Any questions you can pm me. I’ll give you my number and we can talk if need be. Good luck

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 08:05:57 PM »
Not for sure how much you know so if I’m saying something you were aware of disregard. Shooting off the shelf requires feathers. A rest is still better feathers imo and if you go instinctive for sighting raises arrow above your hand too much. Some/all actually production bows do. Just FYI

Offline Longbeard33

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 09:58:49 PM »
All great info provided by Bowguy.  He is spot on.
What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.

-Albert Pike

Offline Lucky Goose

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 12:59:31 PM »
When turkey hunting with a recurve, you greatly need to consider the overall length.  It's VERY tough to maneuver and shoot a long recurve from the ground or even sitting upright in a blind. 

I have used a bear super mag 48, it's compact and carries through the woods very easy.   

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 08:45:53 AM »
When turkey hunting with a recurve, you greatly need to consider the overall length.  It's VERY tough to maneuver and shoot a long recurve from the ground or even sitting upright in a blind. 

I have used a bear super mag 48, it's compact and carries through the woods very easy.

It’s only my experience but this isn’t the case. I hunt w bows 62,64”. That’s not overly short. Not real long either but I’ve shot plenty from the ground. Even from a blind. Never had a problem. Now I’m not tall do that may help w blinds. I only use an Ameristep doghouse. It’s not a big tall blind. I cant the bow when I shoot. Imo you need to w a stykbow. Something very short doesn’t typically shoot as well. It also adds finger pinch if too short and could stack more unless you’re real short. All considerations and not try to detract this post

Offline Lucky Goose

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 12:39:10 PM »
I don't even know if Frye is still watching this or that serious but...

Bowguy is right, of course you'll have to consider if the bow fits and shoots for you.  But room in a blind and ground clearance is a real consideration for lots of shooters.  Also, yes, some guys cant their bow more than others.  It's something you'll have to gauge.  Do a quick search on the topic and you'll find plenty talk about recurves in blinds, even treestands for that matter.  Some blinds are roomier than others, you'll have to get one with dimensions that work with your bow and shooting style.  With turkey's, they can end up REAL CLOSE to the blind and then angles change, strings hit thighs and limb tips hit roofs.

The big thing with hunting a recurve, or any bow for that matter, without a blind is hunting a spot that you can effectively conceal yourself and also effectively shoot from.  With field edges there is all types of brush and limbs that have to be pruned and moved around from me so that I can maneuver.  I've enjoyed less headaches with a shorter bow.  I'd recommend that length 62" and less.