turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Rolling with a hooting stick

Started by limbhanger777, April 26, 2019, 03:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

limbhanger777

Is there another way to get the Purrr sound in an owl hooting stick? I cant roll my r's so is there any other way to get the right sound?

Thanks!

tha bugman

I don't know of any other way.  I do know that a long single hail call doesn't really need any rolling in it to produce a gobble.  Many times I will hear them in the swamp and that single drawn out sound will normally get them fired up and you can hear better to!  ;D

Sir-diealot

Not sure I am right on this, I THINK you mean what I have heard referred to as the laugh of an owl call which can be done through the entire call or at the end of the call. If that is what you mean the way I get that sound is to vibrate my uvula as I am blowing the call and then vibrate it harder at the end to really get that chuckle. Hope this helps.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Robert Peak

Sorry man. my bad...

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Robert Peak on April 29, 2019, 02:44:32 PM
"I get that sound is to vibrate my uvula "  Now thats something you don't hear every day :z-winnersmiley:
At least quote me right. "the way I get that sound is to vibrate my uvula" You hear it more than you might think, it is also the way some people get the purr in a diaphragm call.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

outdoors

Can you translate this
I flunked out of med school   THANKS
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Sir-diealot

Quote from: outdoors on April 29, 2019, 05:58:19 PM
Can you translate this
I flunked out of med school   THANKS
The uvula is that speed bag looking thing that hangs down in the back of your throat. Vibrate that as you blow into the call.

John Koenig:

outdoors

So what your saying is the speed bag closes when you swallow food but air it opens up
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Sir-diealot

Quote from: outdoors on April 29, 2019, 07:01:18 PM
So what your saying is the speed bag closes when you swallow food but air it opens up
Except when I snore to much and then it swells so bad I have to lean forward to let it drop forward so I can breath until the swelling comes down. I have had to reach into my mouth and pull it out of the airway so I could breath.

John Koenig:

Bowguy

I ran waterfowl calls a long time. A tongue flutter was natural to me. When I got call I just tongue fluttered when I wanted the roll.
In 2017 I had an issue that left me unable to completely seal one side of my mouth. Tongue fluttering wouldn't work either so I learned to "gargle". Either one was simple. You tube James Harrison explaining it

limbhanger777

thanks guys, I still am trying to figure this out. I know that its not necessary to produce a gobble, but I would think it might fire up a bird that wont gobble to the call without that sound

Bowguy

In my area you can blow til you're green and get some gobbles but the roll is what gets em more often. It's worth learning imo

WKYHNTR

Gargle with your throat or try to sound like Chewbacca. 
-Let him go so he can grow.

chufagold

Heres me using my throat to gargle on my Harrison  https://youtu.be/7KAxNIxTHwI

Sir-diealot

Quote from: chufagold on April 30, 2019, 09:06:32 PM
Heres me using my throat to gargle on my Harrison  https://youtu.be/7KAxNIxTHwI
This is exactly what I was describing.

John Koenig: