turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help me decide on a 20

Started by SteelerFan, April 24, 2019, 08:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelerFan

I have a Remington youth 20 that I built* for a dedicated turkey gun. Love it. I'm thinking about getting another 20 ga (for myself or my grown son to use).

Weatherby SA08 / 459
Remington 870 / 11-87
Franchi
Mossberg
Or ????

Looking for compact, lightweight, with ability to add optic. I'm tempted to just do another 870 youth - but I'm anxious to hear recommendations/ and why.  (and I'd prefer to stay below $800 or so)

GO...

runngun

Remington 870 youth, Add shure shot stock. Light weight, compact and deadly.  Easy to hold with the stock!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

SteelerFan

Quote from: runngun on April 24, 2019, 08:36:21 PM
Remington 870 youth, Add shure shot stock. Light weight, compact and deadly.  Easy to hold with the stock!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Did that. Agreed!

WildSpur

Oh snap!  I am trying to do the same thing just for my son. 

Is that a sponge camo job you did?  I want to to a sponge job on whatever gun I get. 

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

SteelerFan

Quote from: WildSpur on April 24, 2019, 09:34:16 PM
Oh snap!  I am trying to do the same thing just for my son. 

Is that a sponge camo job you did?  I want to to a sponge job on whatever gun I get. 

Yep - sponge camo.

WildSpur

Wow!  That's a beaut Clark!  I am trying to do the same thing--cool looking camo at low cost!

Cluck more, yelp less

longbow59

I just got a new Stoeger in bottom land camo. I really like the weight about 5.5 lbs. Got it online cost me a little less than $600.00. It's the 3020 model.

Squirrels

The Stoger 3020 tureky edition, comes camo, 24" barrel, drilled and taped for optics already, also comes with a turkey choke.
It's not on their website or in the catalog. Mine has been ordered, I don't recall the model number but it may have been 31871. Local shop didn't know what I was talking about so I called Stoeger, the girl I talked know what gun I was refering to when I started describing it.

Shoebuck

Bite the bullet and buy a Benelli M2. 5.6 lbs is really easy on the shoulder. Put some Federal TSS 9s in it and you will not carry a 12 again.

huntinsomd

I would say that if staying within your budget is important then buy the Stoeger. I've held one and it felt very much like a Franchi or Benelli. The 24" barrel turkey model would be nice. You could add a Vortex Venom, a sling and go hunt. Some of the patterns posted on here are terrific!

rem 300

I picked up a new Weatherby SA-459 Turkey neat little gun, I am just not a big fan of the pistolgrip stock..

Coop1082

The Franchi Affinity Compact has been fantastic for me! Had mine cerakoted patriot brown on the barrel and receiver and the stock and forearm are in OD Green. Also added a Vortex venom. A .575 Carlson's and my 2 3/4" 1 7/16 oz #9 handload does 250-270 in the 10" with around 210-220 in the 20" nearly every time I pull the trigger. All that being said one thing that you'll find out with with the Franchi and the Stoeger (Benelli also) is that they have a tough time cycling untrimmed roll crimped shells. If I'm not mistaken if the OAL of the shell loaded is over 2.67" it won't feed your second shell. Some people haven't had issues with theirs in particular but a lot of people have had issues. That is the main reason I shoot a 2 3/4" shell but a trimmed 3" works also. Besides that, both are fantastic little guns.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

TauntoHawk

I don't think I  could like a gun better then my weatherby 459

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ads1

Yes X2 but difficult to get SA459. Best pattern I have ever seen for a 20 gauge and it has a great feel.
Terry E. Kiser from Southeastern Illinois

SteelerFan

Thanks all! Fortunately I have a year to scratch & sniff... but you all have given me some good starting points.