OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Anyone tried the new federal grand slams?  (Read 3500 times)

Offline jwright8

Anyone tried the new federal grand slams?
« on: April 23, 2019, 07:43:55 PM »
I’m tagged out for this season, so I won’t be patterning for a while. But both of my birds this year were 20 yard shots and well I missed one the first time and got him on the second shot and the other one, well let’s just say he didn’t get many shot in him. Plain and simply I just eat excited and flat out miss when my pattern is that tight. I am now on the hunt for a load that is a little more forgiving at 20 yards, but still producing a good pattern at 40-45 if their is such a load.
I don’t need 400+ at 40 just am even pattern that will kill birds.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
Re: Anyone tried the new federal grand slams?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 10:26:00 PM »
what are you shooting now?

Offline outdoorsmen

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 10:32:52 PM »
I've said it for years, to tight is bad news. I have proposed the question, as season progresses does anyone open up their pattern by changing choke or shells due to limited visibility in the timber cause of green up? It never got much attention.  But its something to think about. My woods, if sitting on the ground, are thick. I'm talking 15yds is a long shot. Now the beginning of the month everything was open so a long shot was an option so a tight pattern was needed. Now, heck if you see them they are in kill range.  I talked to two guys yesterday that are using climbing deerstands to Turkey hunt cause woods r so thick in their spit that they cant see from the ground. Honeysuckle is getting bad everywhere.
Field hunters may be a different story if the field hasn't grown to tall yet.  Anybody use taller decoy stakes?

Offline Tom Foolery

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 07:11:48 AM »
They’re all tight that close from a turkey choke.

Offline jwright8

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 11:30:05 AM »
LB #5 and federal TSS #9. They both have the same POI in my gun. I have a Remington 870 with an Indian creek .665. I may try my factory full choke and see if it’ll open up any I believe it’s a .670.

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 09:48:47 PM »
LB #5 and federal TSS #9. They both have the same POI in my gun. I have a Remington 870 with an Indian creek .665. I may try my factory full choke and see if it’ll open up any I believe it’s a .670.

I have a Remington full for steel or lead and it is .690   it is a hardened tube . You maybe able to order it?
A .670 would be a turkey choke i would believe. The old turkey extra full rem. turkey is .690 also.

Offline coonhunter

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 05:42:47 AM »
Shoot the long beards out of a std full or something in the 690 ish range.
Joshua 24:15

Offline DeltaRunner

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 05:11:45 PM »
I use Grand Slams #5 in an antique gun I use once of twice a year.  It's the best round I could find in 2 3/4".  It's a full choke barrel and patterns well for being a 95 year old gun.

I don't think you will see the pattern open up much with Grand Slams compared to what you are using.  You could definitely experiment with more open chokes especially with the TSS 9's.  You can also try the Federal 3rd degree.  I did some close range patterning with them last year.  They do give you a couple of inches more at 20 yards.  I was very impressed with close and long range patterns of the 3rd degree.  I've never been a fan of blended rounds until I tried them.  I use an over under.  I have TSS in the top barrel and 3rd degree in the bottom when I'm turkey hunting.

I will admit that I patterned some of the lead grand slams in my o/u.  They did great at the 30 yard test I was doing.  It made me question why I'm spending so much money on TSS.

Offline Longshanks

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 10:02:42 AM »
  Went back to shooting lead for just that reason. 95% of the turkeys that I shoot are inside 30yds. Only time have missed a turkey in the last 15yrs was up close with HTL or LB’s.
Shooting Win 3/2/6’s out of an 870 with a Kicks .655. 130’s-140’s in a 10 at 40yds out of a polished barrel.
For me opening up LB patterns created gaps.

Have guns that shoot 280’s-320’s with HTL and if I were hunting fields would use them but right now it is select cut Hardwoods and Pines and turkeys traveling down roads and lanes and an occasional small food plot to set up in on the move. Sure is nice to shoot $1.50 shells.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 10:49:20 AM by Longshanks »

Offline 10gaugemag

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 01:44:02 PM »
For me opening up LB patterns created gaps.
Exactly what I experienced. I think I was able to put 75-80 in the 10" circle at 40 yards. Probably a pic in my post from 2-3 years ago in the Browning pic forum.