OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Public Land Mountain Bird Hunting is Humbling (cool pic)

Started by xarcher, April 22, 2019, 01:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xarcher

In the last 3 weeks, been to northern AL, western MD and eastern WV.  All told, probably had 7 or 8 turkeys inside killing range and only laid eyes on 2.  They are famous for doing the "drive by gobble" and not committing the last few steps before walking off.  Also had birds gobbling on the opposite side of canyons and after taking an hour or so to get there, they had moved on.  Looking forward to May at home and fooling with farm birds once again.  This old man's legs don't climb like they used to. 

But the trip to MD was not a total failure, we came across a sow and 4 cubs at one point.  Check this out......

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

FullChoke

I feel your pain. The Mississippi flatland public hunting area birds have not been kind to me either. I have had 3 within 70 yards that just wound up walking off. This has been a frustrating season for me.

I thought that your photo was of a new Mossy Oak camo pattern - "Bear Up."  :TooFunny:

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

3bailey3

Sir-diealot

Neat picture. Yea public land can be a drag to hunt, but at least your out there hunting and that's what counts.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

TauntoHawk

Quote from: xarcher on April 22, 2019, 01:58:07 PM
In the last 3 weeks, been to northern AL, western MD and eastern WV.  All told, probably had 7 or 8 turkeys inside killing range and only laid eyes on 2.  They are famous for doing the "drive by gobble" and not committing the last few steps before walking off.  Also had birds gobbling on the opposite side of canyons and after taking an hour or so to get there, they had moved on.  Looking forward to May at home and fooling with farm birds once again.  This old man's legs don't climb like they used to. 

But the trip to MD was not a total failure, we came across a sow and 4 cubs at one point.  Check this out......

What section of MD? I just spent 4 days in warrior and green ridge, agreed it was humbling and a ton of fun. Also saw a bear, always enjoy seeing them just a cool animal to watch

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

WildSpur

The Drive By Gobble....I like it!  Never heard that one before but very fitting!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

cramerhunts

The mountain birds have been whooping up on me pretty bad in my home state of AZ as well. The numbers are down quite a bit in most of my usual areas but I've still managed to be working birds almost every time I've been out. Finally called one in to 30 yards on Sunday but unfortunately he caught my daughter swinging on him and made a hasty exit.

Still nothing I'd rather do!

Good luck on the rest of the season.

xarcher

That pic was in Savage River SF. One of the southern tracts.

Happy

I hunt western Md and eastern Wv and the mountains ain't no joke. As frustrating as these turkeys can be I love hunting them. Sorry you didn't connect but it's been tough sledding for a lot of guys so far this year.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

xarcher

Quote from: Happy on April 23, 2019, 08:47:38 PM
I hunt western Md and eastern Wv and the mountains ain't no joke. As frustrating as these turkeys can be I love hunting them. Sorry you didn't connect but it's been tough sledding for a lot of guys so far this year.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I live it too in a sick way I guess. Have been fortunate to kill one each of the last four years and had several close encounters this trip. Even had one show himself but I was trying to get an 8 year old set up and just couldn't do it fast enough. They humble you but at the same time make you a better hunter. I hunted Savage River SF in MD and Sleepy Creek WMA in WV. How about you?  Sounds like you might know those places.