OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Little Monster eats again. Long read. Sorry, I like stories. Lol  (Read 1957 times)

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
This past Saturday was the PA, mentored youth turkey hunt.  My buddy Jerry and his son Colton went with me last season and Colton killed a STUD with my turkey converted, 870 youth.  It was 17° that morning with snow on the ground and this year the weather wasn't any less unforgiving,  if not wetter.  I scouted the whole week, noting where the hens were roosting and that the gobblers main roost area seems to have shifted since last year.  Now they were on my side of the creek valley, much closer to the hens, maybe 100 yards from the main bunch.  We snuck in Friday afternoon under the cover of some pretty dense fog and set up the blind and marked a relatively clear path back out to make it easier to approach with less possibility of bumping birds off the roost and boy did we set up right.  The next morning sound us in the blind by 0500.  Pitch black and pea soup thick fog made for quiet travel to the blind.  I set up my AVX 1/4 strut make, breeder hen and feeder hen 20 yards from the blind almost between us and the cut corn field I knew the birds would be heading to if it rained like the forecast said it might.  And it rained...  Torrential downpours for almost 2 hours straight, rain hitting the blind so hard you couldn't hear the guy 2 feet from you unless he almost yelled.  As it got light out,  the fog started to blow off and slowly the rain began to subside.   When finally just a drizzle,  we heard hens tree calling maybe 60 yards in front at our 11 o'clock.  I gave a few tree calls of my own and they answered back.  Finally at 0700, the hens flew down, cackling and clucking their way to the ground.   A single gobble answered the racket from directly in front, so I made a series of flydown cackles and loud assembly yelps, getting a return gobble from the 3 or 4 birds still on the roost.  We watched the hens for about 5 minutes,  when Colton chirped "I see birds"!  Sure enough,  there were two white heads working our way, but from the right.  They were about 70 yards out, but working steadily to us.  I yelped softly and they'd pick their heads up, look around and then resume their sneak towards the blind.  As they got closer,  I realized they were headed to the decoys,  that I'd placed in anticipation of working the birds in front of us to the blind as they worked to the field to dry off.  We quickly and as quietly as possible moved Colton to a window facing the decoys.   Though it was only maybe 5 minutes from the first ground activity from the hens, it seemed like an eternity as the two longbeards eases slowly towards the dekes, never going into even the hint of strut-clearly satellite birds.  At 23 yards, the little monster barked and the heavyweight 6s about destroyed that bird!  Just like that, Colton was 2 for 2 on longbeards-thats 2 more than his dad btw!  :TooFunny:   20 pounds, 8 1/2" beard and 1" spurs.  Not the monster stud bird from last year, but a nice, solid 2 year old. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 08:57:08 AM by mightyjoeyoung »
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Offline harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
Re: Little Monster eats again. Long read. Sorry, I like stories. Lol
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 08:35:05 AM »
Congrats to all of you.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 10:56:33 AM »
What a glorious story. You are really teaching that youngster first hand how to talk the talk and walk the walk. Congratulations to him!  :happy0064:

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline cramerhunts

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 11:57:05 AM »
Very cool! Congratulations to him and great job!

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 02:03:43 AM »
Man that’s great. Congrats to y’all

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 08:09:32 PM »
congrats great read and hunt!