OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Got My Gun Back From The Shop  (Read 8420 times)

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Got My Gun Back From The Shop
« on: April 21, 2019, 01:11:20 PM »
I got my gun back from the shop last week after having a Leupold Turkey Plex scope put on it I got from Fl strutter late last year. (Or was it early this year) I was a bit miffed with the gunshop because by the time all was said and done it came to double what they said it would to have it drilled and tapped, mounted and bore sited though part of that is because I replace the bikini scope cover with a set of Butler Creek flip up scope caps. The next thing I want to do with the gun (After getting wheels) is find somebody in my area that has the same gun and ShurShot stock that I can shoulder and see how it feels and then get those and have the gun and scope dipped at Tarjac
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
Re: Got My Gun Back From The Shop
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 02:56:06 AM »
Go with Mossy Oak Obsession on the plastic and cerakote the metal burnt bronze.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 09:54:04 AM »
Go with Mossy Oak Obsession on the plastic and cerakote the metal burnt bronze.
I don't quite understand exactly what the cerakote is to be honest. I did find a thumbhole stock I like more than the one above though. Not sure how to get it finished if I do decide to get the gun dipped. https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator Darn, link would make you have to go through the process again, here is a screenshot.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 04:15:16 PM »
That laminate stock looks sweet!

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 05:35:28 PM »
That laminate stock looks sweet!

Do you mean the one for $74.00? I like it as well, have one on a Knight Muzzle Loader I have. I have to get that thing back from Oklahoma.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 12:45:59 PM by Sir-diealot »

John Koenig:

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 08:12:16 AM »
Looks good! My Son has the sureshot stocks on his 870, they are very comfortable. I think you would like them a lot. The thumbhole stock would be really nice too, but i think the sureshot would allow you to shift your grip more when shooting in awkward positions, and allow recoil to be absorbed in the palm of your hand. Try them both out and pick the one you like best. The good thing about stocks, are that if you use one and decide you don't like it, they are easily replaced and sold.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 12:50:36 PM »
Looks good! My Son has the sureshot stocks on his 870, they are very comfortable. I think you would like them a lot. The thumbhole stock would be really nice too, but i think the sureshot would allow you to shift your grip more when shooting in awkward positions, and allow recoil to be absorbed in the palm of your hand. Try them both out and pick the one you like best. The good thing about stocks, are that if you use one and decide you don't like it, they are easily replaced and sold.
The only problem I have is there is no place to try anything like that around here, none of the gun shops that I know of have them in stock (I think there is only one left in my county) There used to be a great place 2 counties over but because of all the anti gun laws and all the hassle they had to go through they could not stay in business anymore. We had I think it was 4 gun shops close within a year of each other in this are and I think 3 of those were within 6 months of each other. I know one of the guys stated that if he had known the others were going to go out of business he would have stayed open. I love my state but hate it's politics.

John Koenig:

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 04:33:27 AM »
I have an 11 87 cantilever mount deer gun with the laminate wood thumbhole stock and it weighs a ton compared to the shurshot sythetic stocks. It was a safe queen after the first year of deer hunting and carrying it around.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 03:07:10 PM »
I have an 11 87 cantilever mount deer gun with the laminate wood thumbhole stock and it weighs a ton compared to the shurshot sythetic stocks. It was a safe queen after the first year of deer hunting and carrying it around.

Same thumbhole stock?

John Koenig:

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2019, 03:41:58 PM »

Same thumbhole stock?
Yes,but gray laminate

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2019, 03:59:52 PM »
You might possibly find a synthetic camo thumbhole stock and maybe they are lighter than the wood ones.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2019, 04:10:46 PM »
You might possibly find a synthetic camo thumbhole stock and maybe they are lighter than the wood ones.
Having a hard time finding any other than those, I did do a Google search but not much came up other than these.

John Koenig:

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2019, 04:14:19 PM »
Having a hard time finding any other than those, I did do a Google search but not much came up other than these.
Keep an eye on ebay possibly..

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2019, 04:16:32 PM »
Keep an eye on ebay possibly..
Have been but only the sureshot stocks seem to come up. Tons of them all over the net for the 870's not for the 11-87's though.

John Koenig:

Offline Fl strutter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2019, 04:22:39 PM »
Call remington and get it from them.