OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Which one should I get next?  (Read 2863 times)

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
Which one should I get next?
« on: April 21, 2019, 09:04:39 AM »
I am wanting to get another trumpet. Eventually I want to get a Ernie Fetters, Daryl Slaton, Anthony Ellis trumpet from each makers. Who’s would you start with and what wood combo, mouth pieces, ferrules, and styles would you suggest from any of these guys? If you have pictures I would love to see them. I have been Facebook stalking all of them but would love to see more. Thanks for any input

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
Re: Which one should I get next?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 09:36:26 AM »
Rick Alessandrini
He's been turning some really NICE ironwood
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline beardhunter87

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 11:09:32 AM »
Iv really fallen for Gregg's yelpers lately out of alot of call makers. I have Slaton , AGE, and Fetters. Here's my Tulipwood AGE that I will never sell. Something about his mouthpiece and lipstop I love. Slaton trumpet is amazing too. Sure u seen my coco he made this last month.

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 11:21:41 AM »
Anthony would be my suggestion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline callmakerman

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 12:05:10 PM »
Permar or Hornstra. Permar  will come fairly fast with a little longer wait on the Hornstra. Both well worth it .
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 02:53:54 PM by callmakerman »

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 02:17:56 PM »
Matt McLain is another I would have at the top of my list.

“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline sbbow

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2019, 03:43:32 PM »
Anthony Ellis

Offline nitro

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2019, 03:50:03 PM »
I would add one of Billy McAlister's trumpets to the arsenal if you don't have one from him.
Royal Slam 2008

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2019, 04:39:35 PM »
Yeah I have one of Billy’s and it’s a great horn. I did get added to Hornstra’s list. I had a AGE already once but gifted that to my oldest son and when I was playing it the other day it was sounding great and made me want another one. I have always admired Slaton and Fetters work so I want one from them as well just trying to decide on where to start.. I would love to see a picture of the Rick Alessandrini trumpets. Doe he have a website or name for his calls. I do like The looks of Permar and McLain trumpets to and I know they sound the part to. Thanks for the suggestions

Offline KentuckyHeadhunter

• Double Beard
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 05:18:27 PM »
There's so many it makes my head spin.  I could call a turkey with an average trumpet.  Learn to play a trumpet and the rest becomes personal preference.  That being said...you will never go wrong with any of the ones mentioned above.  My advice....get an osage Buice screw-in with delrin mp in #3 and #4.  You'll kill turkeys with that for the rest of your life.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Offline fordhunt

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2019, 05:55:00 PM »
I just got one from Rick it's a fine call .I have 2 from Ernie both a fine call Maker's . African blackwood from Ernie has a awesome sound .

Offline callmakerman

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2019, 05:55:11 PM »
There's so many it makes my head spin.  I could call a turkey with an average trumpet.  Learn to play a trumpet and the rest becomes personal preference.  That being said...you will never go wrong with any of the ones mentioned above.  My advice....get an osage Buice screw-in with delrin mp in #3 and #4.  You'll kill turkeys with that for the rest of your life.
Or a 5" cocobolo Buice flat top with wing bone mouth piece. It's money

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2019, 06:09:34 PM »
I liked the Permar .45 I had at one time.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Offline KentuckyHeadhunter

• Double Beard
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2019, 07:20:44 PM »
I liked the Permar .45 I had at one time.

Yep that .45 delrin is awesome! 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2019, 08:15:18 PM »
Thanks for the picture Fordhunt both nice looking calls. I already have the Osage Buice and a couple others and I do love them very much and will keep them forever. I figure I will end up owning a whole bunch of trumpets and trying them and deciding what suits me. It seems I am always searching for the perfect call. I have found that every one I have tried has been capable of being a productive hunting call. I have found some that I think sound better than others to my ear anyway. And I have found some that play a little easier for me than others. I just truly enjoy playing these calls that I want them all lol.
Wingbones are special to me also they are what I started with and I flat out love them to me they seem to have that little twang that a trumpet doesn’t quite have and to my ears I think their clucks are amazing. I think different calls fit people’s styles differently that’s why we all have our own favorites. Keep the suggestions coming thanks guys