OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: WV bird down.  (Read 2257 times)

Offline Thebody

WV bird down.
« on: April 20, 2019, 08:26:29 AM »
Won't be an upgrade, but he is a fine 2 year old.  Details, pics and story to follow.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.  Mike Tyson

Well He shoulda armed himself if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend.  Will Munny

Offline Thebody

Re: WV bird down.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 09:19:38 AM »
Will have to take pics when I get home, got hit with a migraine carrying him out.  Meds should go to work soon.

Well He shoulda armed himself if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend.  Will Munny

Offline Thebody

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 01:48:23 PM »
19.4 lbs. 15/16th rt. 7/8th lt.  10.5 inch beard. Pics to follow.  Feeling better

Offline Thebody

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 05:17:41 PM »
Good day

Offline WildSpur

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 05:39:27 PM »
My man!  Wtg. 

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

Offline suburbhunter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 07:02:04 PM »
"The Body" is piling up bodies...  :theman:

Offline Thebody

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 07:24:05 PM »
I've been getting real lucky lately.  Just got an invite to NY....ive had some success there in the past.  If I could only produce in my home state of Florida and in Georgia!

Offline Thebody

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 07:44:46 PM »
There was a decent rain the night before, but it shut off come morning time.  It was a quiet walk to a hardwood flat spot, but I made it in 30 minutes putting me on my cushion at 0550.  Light came and nothing......not a peep.  I was reluctant to call not knowing where the birds could be and not having heard anything so I sat til 0710 and gave 6 clucks and some purrs.  I also scratched some leaves aggressively. 

Well......5 minutes later I see them coming.  Four mature birds neck and neck running with red, white and blue heads....and right in front of me.  The stopped at 50 yards and began spitting and drumming (I assume).  I have trouble hearing drumming unless they are real close.  They never gobbled!  There was a lot of pollen starting to blow and I know they get silent down south when it's like this. 

So the first one to get to the 35 yard mark was in the ghost ring.  I debated on picking the biggest one, but quickly talked myself out of potentially getting busted.  One shot and he went from silent to flopping. 

It's not much of a story, but it was an awesome 5 minutes.  Walking out I came across a bird strutting in the road 200 yards from my truck. 

After 1 horrible year (skunked) and 1 disappointing year ( last year i killed a double bearded Jake, but I was thankful). I will take this lucky season. 

I will say, I have put in more off season work than any year before.   

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2019, 07:11:50 PM »
Won't be an upgrade, but he is a fine 2 year old.
Yeah, your first bird was a stud!! That sounds like a super exciting hunt!! :icon_thumright:
I hear ya on disappointing last 2 seasons. I got skunked 2 years in a row, but one hunt was because I couldn't adjust my gun due to my bad shoulder. Cost me a beauty of a snow, white Merriams gobbler in Idaho with Hayudog. So I was thrilled with my 2 year old my first day in the woods this season. Since then, it's been henned up birds every day. I'm headed up Tuesday for one last week in SC before I come home to get my shoulder amputated. :o
Keep pilin' the bodies up brother, and enjoy whackin' and stackin' those gobblers!! :fud: :turkey: :turkey: :turkey: :icon_thumright:

Offline Will

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 10:04:11 PM »
Awesome