OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Hunting planted fields?  (Read 1881 times)

Offline kellyguinn

Hunting planted fields?
« on: April 19, 2019, 11:11:02 PM »
Question! I normally don't get to Turkey hunt a planted field so I need some learning lol. Roosted 1 Tom with 10 hens tonight. Should I use decoys on the opposite edge of the field? Or just set up without them? Calling them in has been near impossible this year for some reason.

90% of my hunting success is catching them mid day looking for love. The public I hunt is broke into really small sections and 99% of the birds roost on private.

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
Re: Hunting planted fields?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 08:31:14 AM »
Sounds like your going to need 11 hen decoys.

You have a challenge ahead of you.  If it were possible I'd have considered bumping them off the roost yesterday.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Online Marc

• Double Beard
Re: Hunting planted fields?
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 12:07:12 PM »
I know zero about hunting fields...

But, I have to guess with a group of hens that size that there are probably some other bachelors (beaten into submission) around waiting for an opportunity on those hens...

I might try setting up on the edge of any woods bordering the field one morning try to call in a less dominant (more quiet bird) and watch where the bird you are hunting enters the field (to hunt him the next morning).

Guesswho is right...  That is a tricky situation...  I'd put out a bunch of hen decoys with a Funky Chicken were I to go straight to the field hunting...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.