OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Raspy & Old OR Young & Sweet??  (Read 14379 times)

Offline perrytrails

• Longbeard
Raspy & Old OR Young & Sweet??
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2019, 02:39:55 PM »
I use raspy old hen and sweet young hen calls in the same series of yelps. Doesn’t matter if it’s early or late season.

I’d have to say I call too much and too loud. I want to be the boss hen…

You don’t have to sound like a real turkey as most say, but it sure helps too.

I use clear soft yelps that explode into loud raspy yelps and maybe back to a clear soft yelp at end. I’m a cutting yelping fool at times. I may get up and move 5-6 times on a bird also if I feel he’s educated.

Experience will tell you when to shut up and or back off on the calling.

I vary cadence and put excitement in my calling, something Ray Eye has stressed over and over through the years.

Right bird
Right place
Right time…
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 04:34:02 PM by perrytrails »

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
Re: Raspy & Old OR Young & Sweet??
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2019, 09:55:29 PM »
A little on the trashy side..... ;)

That’s my saying... “That’s a cocktail waitress in a Dolly Parton
wig!”

Offline larry9988

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2019, 09:48:52 PM »
I use both but prefer slightly raspy. I really like to do what I call high pitched HE HE's and then fall into rasp and then come out with high He He's. This is what my yard turkey hens do whether the have a clear mouth or more of a raspy voice. I have learned a lot by having hens to listen to all year long.

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2019, 04:16:27 PM »
Interesting thread...

To add to my previous post, I just read where turkeys tend to respond more to higher pitched sounds...

I have also noticed that in years following poor production, I use a bit bossier/raspy call to more effect, and on years such as this following high production, maybe I get more responses from a cleaner higher pitched call?

Early in the season, hens tend to be quite vocal in the areas I hunt, and especially in the morning.  I really try to hear what they are doing, and especially to what sounds and vocalizations the gobblers are responding to...

Later in the season, if I do hear a hen, or hens in the morning, I pay attention, and will imitate those sounds in prime areas later in the morning (hopefully when the hens are back on the nest).

We all listen for that gobble, but I am far more intent on listening to the hens and what vocalizations they are doing.  If I do not hear any vocalizations, I tend to be far more subtle with my calling and concentrate on quiet contented clucks and purrs.  Most of the time it does not work, but it has proven fruitful for me at times...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline Gumby

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2019, 11:02:34 PM »
High pitch and “young”