turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How do you choose a pattern?

Started by BigGare, April 18, 2019, 10:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigGare

So recently I've been wondering how you choose your pattern. Obviously the more pellets in your 10" circle the better right? I've been looking at patterns and obviously 5s vs 7s in any target there should be more 7s than 5s theoretically. But how do you pick what you want more holes or bigger holes? Trying to decide between 5s and a 5,6,7 mix. How do you guys like to pick?

coyote1

Whatever shell gives you an even pattern at 40 yards that has no gaps in the 10" circle that a turkeys head would fit without getting hit with multiple pellets is the one you want. I generally shoot #5 shot because my gun likes them but #6 shot is more than adequate at 40 yards and in. Winchester long beards are a great patterning shell but very tight inside 30 yards.

dirt road ninja

It depends on what you want, I like lots of holes vs bigger holes. Assuming your asking about HTL.

coonhunter

It reall all depends. For example, I like a really tight core to a pattern and not too concerned with my 20" coverage. But for my son who is 9, I shoot a more open choke in his 20 ga (575). This give a more even 20" coverage and a decent 10" coverage in case he wiggles! 
Joshua 24:15

Tom Foolery

I like a good 10" core with an even 20" halo.

I shoot straight 7's HTL I've never had them perform poorly on the pattern board or killing.

BandedSpur

300 in the 10" and 200+ in the 10-20" with pellets that penetrate like lead 4s  ;)

DoubleD

I like a tight pattern of #5's.  Less feathers and pellets in the breast.