turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pattern a little spotty..

Started by Genehalteman, April 18, 2019, 12:35:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Genehalteman

Is there a reason for a pattern like this? I'm happy with pellet count! 182 in 8 3/4" circle at  40 yards.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

edward.penny

Seems like I get the same kind of patterns with the Longbeard. You might try a choke that is less constricting that might even it out.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk

tnanh

If that is a 20 gauge with longbeards that is unbelievable numbers I only get about 110 to 120 with longbeard 6s out of my 20 gauge but my patterns are pretty even. That is with a Carlson 575. I probably wouldn't hunt with the pattern you posted. Too much room for a turkey head to survive it. My son also shoots a Carlson 575 in his 870 and gets about the same numbers with an even pattern.

BandedSpur

With conventional (non-shot-locked) loads, a supertight but patchy pattern like that usually indicated that it is overchoked. With Longbeards who knows, but I would also try a more open choke.

sswv

182 in a 8.75" circle at 40 yards with a 20 gauge shooting #6 shot...WOW....that is amazing. 163 #6 shot from a 20 gauge in a 10" circle is the best I've ever done. Please tell us what gun, barrel length and choke of you don't mind.

Genehalteman

I'm sorry guys. This was a 12 gauge???? my bad, accidentally posted in the 20 gauge forum. I'm having trouble with Tapatalk. That's why I didn't reply sooner. Pattern inconsistency was my biggest question.

owlhoot

It happens.   :welcomeOG:
What would be helpful to know is what gun and choke you are using so someone could make some recommendations.

Genehalteman

It's an H&R Pardner pump with an Indian Creek Black Diamond choke tube. Had Sumtoy lengthen the forcing cone to 5".

owlhoot

I would say a more open choke then