OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Sassy Jenny ?  (Read 1886 times)

Offline Ozarks Hillbilly

• The Boss Gobbler
Sassy Jenny ?
« on: April 17, 2019, 11:13:58 PM »
Experienced something for the first time in 42 year's of hunting turkey's in the spring. There's been a loud mouth gobbler east of my house he has been hanging out there in a cow pasture that has been void of cattle since last fall. Let it be known that I despise field turkey's. He was gobbling yesterday evening when I got home from work so I thought I would check his temperature this morning. He gobbled early and was roosted on the north side of the field that for the most part is a large cedar glade. West side is mixed hardwood and mature pine. Not being able to get any tighter than 150 yard's to him I tucked into the fence line on the north west corner of the field. The field has a little narrow finger there between the fence and the start of the glade. My thinking is if he decides to come investigate me he will be in range when turn's the corner. Being tucked in there your unable to see any of the rest of the field other than this little finger. Long story short he drops down from his perch and I send him some soft seductive stuff he eats it up but stands his ground gobbling at a pretty good clip. He started to fade to the east and I call to him again and he fire's right back at me. So I get a little bit raunchy with him and he started back my way got to about to where his feet hit the ground and held firm. We talked back and forth for a little bit getting to know each other and each of us trying to convince the other that we had the perfect place to become intimate. Now this is the question I have. A hen came from the south side of the field. I heard a hen doing this on YouTube may have been on the Pinhoti project but I haven't ever experienced it until this morning. She was cutting and kee kee whistle in between. We had a little cussing match and she continues to cut and kee kee. The gobbler is eating this up until she made her what to him and they went off to do what they do. I packed up and headed back to the house fixed a bite to eat and he was over there hammering again when I stepped back out the kitchen door. Not being able to see her I can only assume that she must have been just a sassy Jenny hen? Has anyone else experienced this before?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Online aclawrence

• Longbeard
Re: Sassy Jenny ?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 07:46:48 AM »
Never heard it before. Did you get a sound file on your phone? That sounds like a fun hunt and a bird that will make you pull your hair out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 03:54:23 PM »
Now this is the question I have.

A hen came from the south side of the field. I heard a hen doing this on YouTube may have been on the Pinhoti project but I haven't ever experienced it until this morning. She was cutting and kee kee whistle in between. We had a little cussing match and she continues to cut and kee kee. The gobbler is eating this up until she made her what to him and they went off to do what they do. I packed up and headed back to the house fixed a bite to eat and he was over there hammering again when I stepped back out the kitchen door. Not being able to see her I can only assume that she must have been just a sassy Jenny hen? Has anyone else experienced this before?
Are you asking if we have experienced the Kee-kee calling, or experienced a hen stealing away toms?

I have seen hens come off the nest to steal toms that I am calling in.  I get robbed all the time in a typical season (although I hear this is more common with Rio's that I hunt than other sub-species?)

Sometimes you can call in an aggressive hen for a fight (with a tom in tow), but sometimes your calling encourages the hen to cut you off from the tom, and generally take him the opposite direction.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline Ozarks Hillbilly

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 04:02:09 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has experienced a hen cutting and kee kee' in not cutting and yelping she never yelped once.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Offline Twowithone

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 04:15:15 PM »
Give that hen the same stuff but more make her mad shell come looking for you and hopefully bring ol longbeard with her.    :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 05:44:13 PM »
Can’t say I’ve heard that before. I’ve heard them kee kee and cutt, in the spring, but not together. Perhaps she had separated from other hens and was just a little confused.