OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

870 super mag or Mossberg 835

Started by JMalin, April 17, 2019, 11:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeytider

Quote from: Spurs Up on June 05, 2019, 04:16:17 PM
Quote from: Turkeytider on June 05, 2019, 10:06:11 AM
Quote from: Bowguy on June 05, 2019, 09:02:30 AM
I'll agree w the last post but not exactly for why you think. The 870 has been one of America's most popular shotguns. It wasn't made for turkey but it used to be a good gun everyone had. Kinda makes sense the most popular gun is in the running., now quote me if I'm wrong cause I don't recall and turkey specific guns besides the 835 that had popularity or were even available.
The two more common guns got to rate high not because they work better though sometimes maybe this is true it's simply availability.
Gonna give you a for instance. We're more deer killed in America w Remington 700s or Sakos? Which is the better gun????? Now the sakos are pricey but they always weren't so.   Availability is your answer. Obviously Sako is much better and now the price reflects that.

Based on a review of Remington catalogs, it appears to me that they (Remington ) began the production of turkey specific 870`s in the early 90`s and have produced them ever since, both as Express and " regular " 870. My own 870 Super Mag Special Purpose Turkey model ( thumbhole stock, MO Obsession camo ) was produced from `05 to `07. The thing is an absolute tank of a gun, as smooth and together as the day it was built. With a Jellyhead 660 and Hevi-13 #6 I`ll pattern it against any gun, Mossbergs included.

At the risk of starting round 2 of the urinary olympics, just how do you propose to "pattern it against any gun?"  Are Sako's allowed???

I don`t. Merely saying that the patterns it throws, I would submit, would compare favorably to any gun with that load and choke. Just so you know, I think quite highly of the Mossberg 835 Ultimag. When I was in the market for a dedicated turkey gun, I probably would have bought one if a deal I couldn`t refuse for my 870 Super Mag hadn`t come up. Bowguy`s universal indictment of everything Remington is what prompted my comments.

Turkeytider

Quote from: longislandloco on June 07, 2019, 01:33:49 PM
Having owned both, neither......I prefer my BPS and my Winchester 1300, shot what you like, not what I like or anyone else likes.

The best advice. In the final analysis, there are any number of guns that can do the job.

runngun

Not a Mossberg fan either but I will say that Mossberg was first to the table with Turkey specific guns. In 1988 they introduced the 835, 8 being 1988 and 35 for 3 1/2 inch shells, teaming up with Federal for the shells. My father had a 1988 model, it has been traded back and forth between my Uncles because of the recoil. Lol!
Might just have to get my hands on it.  It's in tree bark or the first Realtree. Throws wicked patterns too!

Have a good one
Ray

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.