turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 super mag or Mossberg 835

Started by JMalin, April 17, 2019, 11:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taylorjones20

Since you already have what sounds like an older 870 (one of the good ones) I would spend the $400 and make it look like a brand new one. Have it dipped/cerakoted. Put a good choke in it, an optic on it, etc.  They are great guns and unless you just have an itch to buy a new gun, it will serve you very well for years to come.

Also, if you're only wanting to upgrade, buying a new 870 or 835 isn't really an upgrade. The older guns of those models are much better than the new ones.

An upgrade from what you have would be a nice semi auto IMO.
Alive only by the Grace Of God

JMalin

Quote from: taylorjones20 on April 29, 2019, 10:09:25 PM
Since you already have what sounds like an older 870 (one of the good ones) I would spend the $400 and make it look like a brand new one. Have it dipped/cerakoted. Put a good choke in it, an optic on it, etc.  They are great guns and unless you just have an itch to buy a new gun, it will serve you very well for years to come.

Also, if you're only wanting to upgrade, buying a new 870 or 835 isn't really an upgrade. The older guns of those models are much better than the new ones.

An upgrade from what you have would be a nice semi auto IMO.

That's actually what I'm going to be doing.  Got referred by a gun building buddy of mine to a place out of San Antonio that does good work cerakoting for a great price.  As far as the optic goes, I've got a bushnell TRS-25, but am considering moving to a reflex for faster target acquisition.  I think I was hindered when trying to shoot at a moving turkey this past weekend by it.

Also kicking around the idea of an over under.  I like potentially being able to have a close range shell/choke combo paired with a long range combo that having two barrels provides. 

BDeal

The 835s kick like a mule and the forearm starts to rattle on many of them over time. Remington all the way.

countryboy3006

I have had an 835 that was the first gun I paid for myself about 20 years ago.  A few years later I got an 870.  I still use both of them but I prefer the 870.  I think it patterns better and I've added a blackhawk knoxx stock to it that makes it better to shoot.  I have heard bad things about the newer remingtons but don't have any first hand knowledge of them.  As far as the ones I have both have been good guns.  No problems from either one.

Bowguy

No comparison, the Mossberg stands way ahead of the Remington in so many areas. I'm no Mossberg guy either but facts are facts. Ask a Remington guy what their gun does better?? They can't answer. Now add the fact current Remington's stink. If you were talking an old one as least you'd get a good gun. Buy the Mossberg

Bay1985

Quote from: Bowguy on June 04, 2019, 01:07:36 PM
No comparison, the Mossberg stands way ahead of the Remington in so many areas. I'm no Mossberg guy either but facts are facts. Ask a Remington guy what their gun does better?? They can't answer. Now add the fact current Remington's stink. If you were talking an old one as least you'd get a good gun. Buy the Mossberg
What does the Mossberg do better than a Remington?
A mossberg is heavier, the stock is not comfortable to most people, they do have more felt recoil and after a year or so you get that nice clanky  sound to the forend.
Remington has a smoother action, the saftey is in a better location  and it  is better in all the reasons listed. Answer done

Bowguy

Quote from: Bay1985 on June 04, 2019, 04:35:16 PM
A mossberg is heavier, the stock is not comfortable to most people, they do have more felt recoil and after a year or so you get that nice clanky  sound to the forend.
Remington has a smoother action, the saftey is in a better location  and it  is better in all the reasons listed. Answer done
Ya want the list? For starters the barrel is overbored it's a 10 ga. The forcing cones are worked. The barrel on the newer ones is usually ported. It comes drilled n tapped for a sight.
The first few add up to the probabity of a better pattern. Got lots of shot and they don't get beat up squeezed in a tight space. Not saying the other guns, any really, can't be worked but put em head to head and there's no comparison it's obvious. If we're not talking head to head than the comparison is silly.
Now best part of all the Mossberg Won't break as often as the cheaply made 870s. They stink. Old ones were great.
I've heard about this clanking, mine is about 30 years old. Quiet as can be for a pump. No rattle.
Remington shoulda stayed with the wingmaster. Ever since they got on this express kick the company isn't worth buying anything from unfortunately.
How bout this one?  Ask a gunsmith which one they'd buy?? The Remington's they always gotta fix or the Mossbergs.
It'd be a quick answer. It's ok to be a Remington fan. Im one speaking of the old stuff. The old Winchester were good too.
Todays turkey hunter wanting the best reasonably inexpensive gun would be best with an 835.
Another note, I've been at this since the ultimate mags were started. Almost every guy I know owns one. Some old, some new. Not one fellow says the stock is "uncomfortable". Add another great point. The safety is in a BETTER position on the Mossberg for many especially leftys.
Opinions are great but think what's best for someone else (namely the op) not whatever personal tastes we're def entitled to.

Turkeytider

Quote from: Bowguy on June 04, 2019, 05:03:07 PM
Ya want the list? For starters the barrel is overbored it's a 10 ga. The forcing cones are worked. The barrel on the newer ones is usually ported. It comes drilled n tapped for a sight.
The first few add up to the probabity of a better pattern. Got lots of shot and they don't get beat up squeezed in a tight space. Not saying the other guns, any really, can't be worked but put em head to head and there's no comparison it's obvious. If we're not talking head to head than the comparison is silly.
Now best part of all the Mossberg Won't break as often as the cheaply made 870s. They stink. Old ones were great.
I've heard about this clanking, mine is about 30 years old. Quiet as can be for a pump. No rattle.
Remington shoulda stayed with the wingmaster. Ever since they got on this express kick the company isn't worth buying anything from unfortunately.
How bout this one?  Ask a gunsmith which one they'd buy?? The Remington's they always gotta fix or the Mossbergs.
It'd be a quick answer. It's ok to be a Remington fan. Im one speaking of the old stuff. The old Winchester were good too.
Todays turkey hunter wanting the best reasonably inexpensive gun would be best with an 835.
Another note, I've been at this since the ultimate mags were started. Almost every guy I know owns one. Some old, some new. Not one fellow says the stock is "uncomfortable". Add another great point. The safety is in a BETTER position on the Mossberg for many especially leftys.
Opinions are great but think what's best for someone else (namely the op) not whatever personal tastes we're def entitled to.

" Ever since they got on this express kick the company isn`t worth buying anything from unfortunately."  ANYTHING?? I`m afraid that`s a bit too sweeping a generalization with which I can`t agree. My walnut V3 is an excellent gun and one that won`t break the bank to acquire. Remington`s selling a bunch of them.  Check out comments on the current Wingmasters on Shotgun World. Far more positives than negatives and there also certainly seem to be folks out there who are liking their VersaMax. The 870 Express was specifically designed to be a low cost, no frills pump to appeal to people looking for a cheap gun. It`s foolish to think that you would get Wingmaster, or even Mossberg, quality with one, both in furniture and in machining.

Bay1985

If I wanted a 10 gauge I'd buy a 10 gauge. Forcing cone length has never been proven to me to matter in a turkey gun.The 870 comes with a bead site I'd put a clown horn on my shotgun before I'd put a scope on one so I don't really need holes drilled in the reciever. The saftey location is a personal opinion. The weight is a fact, not sure what help porting would do unless your trying to make the gun louder.
To clarify everything I'm saying is about the Wingmaster, I don't know any self respecting turkey hunter that would hunt with an Express lol. Head to head the Wingmaster 1957 or 2019 model will hold its on side by side with any gun made including the Mossberg. I'd suggest the OP invest money in his gun and skip the budget shopping for the only  peice of equipment that will actually kill the turkey, everything else is extra. You could find a nice Wingmaster on one of the gun sales sites in 12 gauge that probably isn't even broke in yet and will last your lifetime and then some.

Spurs Up

Quote from: Bay1985 on June 04, 2019, 11:29:52 PM
If I wanted a 10 gauge I'd buy a 10 gauge. Forcing cone length has never been proven to me to matter in a turkey gun.The 870 comes with a bead site I'd put a clown horn on my shotgun before I'd put a scope on one so I don't really need holes drilled in the reciever. The saftey location is a personal opinion. The weight is a fact, not sure what help porting would do unless your trying to make the gun louder.
To clarify everything I'm saying is about the Wingmaster, I don't know any self respecting turkey hunter that would hunt with an Express lol. Head to head the Wingmaster 1957 or 2019 model will hold its on side by side with any gun made including the Mossberg. I'd suggest the OP invest money in his gun and skip the budget shopping for the only  peice of equipment that will actually kill the turkey, everything else is extra. You could find a nice Wingmaster on one of the gun sales sites in 12 gauge that probably isn't even broke in yet and will last your lifetime and then some.

Don't be silly. Everybody I know uses a saddle mount for their clown horn.

This thread may as well be about Ford or Chevy (Hyundai or Kia, in this case).  Most everyone just defends what they own.

Bowguy

Quote from: Spurs Up on June 05, 2019, 05:57:25 AM

This thread may as well be about Ford or Chevy (Hyundai or Kia, in this case).  Most everyone just defends what they own.

This is exactly right. I have both although the 870 is from the 80s. That's why I said the 835 is better. Comparing em side by side there's no question. The working the old gun is a great idea. Still won't be as good as an unti mag pattern wise but a great gun would be had

Turkeytider

Quote from: Spurs Up on June 05, 2019, 05:57:25 AM

We have a winner! Most probably more turkeys have been killed by 835`s and 870`s than everything else maybe combined. There`s probably a reason for that.

Bowguy

I'll agree w the last post but not exactly for why you think. The 870 has been one of America's most popular shotguns. It wasn't made for turkey but it used to be a good gun everyone had. Kinda makes sense the most popular gun is in the running., now quote me if I'm wrong cause I don't recall and turkey specific guns besides the 835 that had popularity or were even available.
The two more common guns got to rate high not because they work better though sometimes maybe this is true it's simply availability.
Gonna give you a for instance. We're more deer killed in America w Remington 700s or Sakos? Which is the better gun????? Now the sakos are pricey but they always weren't so.   Availability is your answer. Obviously Sako is much better and now the price reflects that.

Turkeytider

Quote from: Bowguy on June 05, 2019, 09:02:30 AM
I'll agree w the last post but not exactly for why you think. The 870 has been one of America's most popular shotguns. It wasn't made for turkey but it used to be a good gun everyone had. Kinda makes sense the most popular gun is in the running., now quote me if I'm wrong cause I don't recall and turkey specific guns besides the 835 that had popularity or were even available.
The two more common guns got to rate high not because they work better though sometimes maybe this is true it's simply availability.
Gonna give you a for instance. We're more deer killed in America w Remington 700s or Sakos? Which is the better gun????? Now the sakos are pricey but they always weren't so.   Availability is your answer. Obviously Sako is much better and now the price reflects that.

Based on a review of Remington catalogs, it appears to me that they (Remington ) began the production of turkey specific 870`s in the early 90`s and have produced them ever since, both as Express and " regular " 870. My own 870 Super Mag Special Purpose Turkey model ( thumbhole stock, MO Obsession camo ) was produced from `05 to `07. The thing is an absolute tank of a gun, as smooth and together as the day it was built. With a Jellyhead 660 and Hevi-13 #6 I`ll pattern it against any gun, Mossbergs included.

Spurs Up

Quote from: Turkeytider on June 05, 2019, 10:06:11 AM
Quote from: Bowguy on June 05, 2019, 09:02:30 AM

Based on a review of Remington catalogs, it appears to me that they (Remington ) began the production of turkey specific 870`s in the early 90`s and have produced them ever since, both as Express and " regular " 870. My own 870 Super Mag Special Purpose Turkey model ( thumbhole stock, MO Obsession camo ) was produced from `05 to `07. The thing is an absolute tank of a gun, as smooth and together as the day it was built. With a Jellyhead 660 and Hevi-13 #6 I`ll pattern it against any gun, Mossbergs included.

At the risk of starting round 2 of the urinary olympics, just how do you propose to "pattern it against any gun?"  Are Sako's allowed???