OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 870 super mag or Mossberg 835  (Read 10949 times)

Offline mspaci

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: 870 super mag or Mossberg 835
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2019, 08:14:05 AM »
Plenty of fans of each. And detractors too.  I’d put an 870 Express 12 ga on par with a Mossy 500. However, the pattern-friendly, over-bored barrel of an 835 puts it ahead of an 870 in my book. Also, if you ever want to mount optics, the 835 comes from the factory drilled and tapped. Both will do the job and are good “beater” guns.

I felt the same but have read numerous review where the pump action of the 835s start to loosen up over time and that you have to consciencly make sure the pump is extended all the way out or the gun will not fire. This could really stink for running and gunning type peoples.

Ive hd 2 lemons from mossberg, never again

Offline Tom Foolery

• Longbeard
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2019, 08:19:41 AM »
I hunt with an 870 youth 20 gauge 99% of the time.  The other 1% is an old special purpose 870 20” barreled 12 gauge. 

If I thought I needed a 3.5” shell it’s 835 all the way for me.  I used one for years until I decided I was over the 3.5” recoil.

I’m no fan of excessive recoil myself. Keep in mind 2-3/4” and 3” shells with lighter payloads (think less shoulder thump) also shoot exceptionally well out of the 835’s long chamber and over-bored barrel. It’s those shells that have made me fall back in love with the 835 and leave the compact 20 ga 870 in the safe most days. The extra 1.5 lbs is no problem to carry but soaks up recoil relative to a 6 lb 20 ga. And, it’s pattern is more consistent and manageable than those of my other 12’s when shooting comparable shells.

I got my 835 for 3.5” shells not 3” or 2.75”.  I decided if I was going to shoot a lighter payload than the 3.5 offered I wanted a shorter, lighter handier gun aka the youth 870 20 gauge.

I shot my 835 with 3” shells, it still has noticeably more recoil than the 870 20 gauge and it didn’t outshoot my 3” chambered 870 with 3” shells so down the road the 835 went.

Offline coonhunter

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2019, 08:46:55 AM »
I have a 870 sm and love it. It’s a little heavy but patterns good. The 835 imo is the best patterning shot gun ever made. But the recoil of those things is crazy!  The hardiest kicking gun I have ever shot!  That’s why I went with the 870
Joshua 24:15

Offline strum

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2019, 11:22:43 AM »
I was ready to purchase a new 870 super but  every gunsmith i've spoke with recently has steered me away from the newer Remingtons. 

Offline goblr77

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2019, 03:05:15 PM »
835 all they way. It will pattern better because of the overbored barrel and you'll have fewer issues overall. The newer remingtons are junk. I do normally make a couple modifications to my 835's but it's something I would do to any pump. An Mcarbo trigger spring kit will bring the trigger weight down to a little over 4 lbs. I also install a wolf xp magazine spring with aluminum follower to avoid jams. You're looking at a grand total of around $40 for both mods.

Offline WildSpur

• Longbeard
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2019, 09:03:40 PM »
I was always a die hard mossberg fan.   Decided to get an 870 shurshot.   Its my favorite gun now. 

That being said, if you are on this site you are just more than the average hunter so you need an 835 now!  Any gobbler hunter needs both 870 and 835 platforms in their collection!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

Offline Kytomgetter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2019, 01:17:29 PM »
Both are great guns but I prefer the 835.

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2019, 06:28:52 AM »
Wouldn't surprise me if 870s and 835s have taken more turkeys than everything else combined. IMHO sort of the "standard" turkey guns. Can't go wrong with either.

Offline Escout711

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2019, 07:08:20 AM »
 :newmascot:
I was ready to purchase a new 870 super but  every gunsmith i've spoke with recently has steered me away from the newer Remingtons.

Sounds like solid advice. I picked up an 870 Super Mag on a “too good to be true” clearance sale at Dicks Sporting Goods last month, $189 w the tax included. Took it to the range twice, and despite trying 2 different chokes and a number of different loads it simply wouldn’t pattern at 40 yards. I suppose I could have devoted time to trying to figure it out, but my Benelli Nova outshoots it by a mile and I decided to quit while I was ahead and sold it to a buddy for what I paid for it. I noticed the camo finish chipped easily in a couple spots which was concerning, the action would sometimes stick and sometimes it would eject the shell like a semiauto. Just all around disappointing for a gun I had high hopes for.

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2019, 07:38:08 AM »

Sounds like solid advice. I picked up an 870 Super Mag on a “too good to be true” clearance sale at Dicks Sporting Goods last month, $189 w the tax included. Took it to the range twice, and despite trying 2 different chokes and a number of different loads it simply wouldn’t pattern at 40 yards. I suppose I could have devoted time to trying to figure it out, but my Benelli Nova outshoots it by a mile and I decided to quit while I was ahead and sold it to a buddy for what I paid for it. I noticed the camo finish chipped easily in a couple spots which was concerning, the action would sometimes stick and sometimes it would eject the shell like a semiauto. Just all around disappointing for a gun I had high hopes for.

That is indeed disappointing. I bought what appeared to be a pretty well used 2005 vintage 870 Super Mag Special Purpose Turkey with a thumbhole stock. I think that thing was carved out of a block of steel !  Had a red dot already on it and came with a .660 Jellyhead. Been more than pleased with the way its performed. Wouldn`t be my first choice to run and gun though, too heavy, but I`m more of a sitter anyway, so....

Offline Escout711

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2019, 08:05:22 AM »

That is indeed disappointing. I bought what appeared to be a pretty well used 2005 vintage 870 Super Mag Special Purpose Turkey with a thumbhole stock. I think that thing was carved out of a block of steel !  Had a red dot already on it and came with a .660 Jellyhead. Been more than pleased with the way its performed. Wouldn`t be my first choice to run and gun though, too heavy, but I`m more of a sitter anyway, so....

Yeah, I’m the opposite, I won’t sit long and try to cover ground. I would imagine that my next attempt at a new turkey shooter will be some manner of lightweight 20 gauge. Sounds like you got a good 870 from before Remington literally went south.

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2019, 08:51:28 AM »

Yeah, I’m the opposite, I won’t sit long and try to cover ground. I would imagine that my next attempt at a new turkey shooter will be some manner of lightweight 20 gauge. Sounds like you got a good 870 from before Remington literally went south.

Well, yes, before their " troubles ". Having said that, I have a two year old walnut Remington V3 that`s been a terrific gun. If I were looking for a new turkey gun, based on my experience with my V3, I`d take a SERIOUS look at the V3 Turkey Pro.

Offline DoubleD

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2019, 06:12:12 PM »
I've owned both.
The 835 Ultimag always felt long and uncomfortable to me. As a result it was brutal to shoot with 3.5" turkey loads.
I prefer a shorter LOP so I bought an 870 SM, lopped an inch off the stock and it's much more comfortable to shoot 3.5" turkey loads.
Mechanically they're both equally sound. They both pattern equally well.

Offline USMC0331

• Longbeard
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2019, 08:35:22 PM »
I own or have owned just about all makes of shotguns. No one makes a flawless shotgun. Of the two your asking about , either will crush turkeys.

Offline edward.penny

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2019, 09:07:57 PM »
My 835 patterns better than the Remington's I have had.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk