turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 super mag or Mossberg 835

Started by JMalin, April 17, 2019, 11:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMalin

Thinking about retiring a hand me down 870 express and picking up a camo turkey gun from Walmart or Academy.  Which gun would you go with?  Any other pumps that I should consider for $400 out the door?

DBell

I just bought a used compact 870 express 20 ga in camo a couple months ago and really like it. I purchased it from a local gun shop so I was able to look it over well and feel that the action was not gritty. The serial number dated it back to 2017 so it was basically new; it hadn't been shot much.
Some people have had issues with gritty actions and failure to eject shells. I haven't experienced this with either of my newer expresses. The only improvement I made with the camo 870 was taking some xtra fine sand paper to the inside of the receiver. Whatever they use to camo the gun was also inside the receiver and it made the action bars not ride as smooth as if it was bare steel. So I sanded down these areas, put some slip 2000 in there and shot the heck out of it and it went from a good action to a better action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spurs Up

Plenty of fans of each. And detractors too.  I'd put an 870 Express 12 ga on par with a Mossy 500. However, the pattern-friendly, over-bored barrel of an 835 puts it ahead of an 870 in my book. Also, if you ever want to mount optics, the 835 comes from the factory drilled and tapped. Both will do the job and are good "beater" guns.

DBell

Quote from: Spurs Up on April 18, 2019, 04:54:48 AM
Plenty of fans of each. And detractors too.  I'd put an 870 Express 12 ga on par with a Mossy 500. However, the pattern-friendly, over-bored barrel of an 835 puts it ahead of an 870 in my book. Also, if you ever want to mount optics, the 835 comes from the factory drilled and tapped. Both will do the job and are good "beater" guns.
X2
Don't feel bad about dingin em up
Get whichever feels better

bbcoach

Quote from: DBell on April 18, 2019, 08:08:37 AM
X2
Don't feel bad about dingin em up
Get whichever feels better

X3.  I own a 835 and I bought it at Wally world over 10 years ago.  It has been to about 5 states and has killed many birds.  Great gun IMO.  Remmy makes a great gun as well.  One thing to consider, do you already have a turkey choke for your express?  If you do and it is around the .665 range, that will be one less thing you'll have to buy if you stick with the Remmy.  See which one fits and feels the best to you, you can't go wrong either way.

BDeal

Remington every time for me. I will never own another Mossberg. Had one that was the biggest POS I have ever owned. Granted it was the youth model but it was a piece of junk. I may have just gotten a lemon of course but it was enough to sour me forever

Bigeclipse

I felt the same but have read numerous review where the pump action of the 835s start to loosen up over time and that you have to consciencly make sure the pump is extended all the way out or the gun will not fire. This could really stink for running and gunning type peoples.

deerpoo22

While I don't own either today, I've owned both in the past and I've always liked 870 better, however I firmly believe Remingtons made nowadays are junk. Go moss and don't look back

tomstopper

I love my 870 but to be fair, I have never owned a Mossberg until I bought a 510 mini 20gauge for my daughters. It has performed well so far.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

bbcoach

Quote from: Bigeclipse on April 18, 2019, 01:43:50 PM

I felt the same but have read numerous review where the pump action of the 835s start to loosen up over time and that you have to consciencly make sure the pump is extended all the way out or the gun will not fire. This could really stink for running and gunning type peoples.
10 years with my 835 with zero problems.  Also I have a hunting buddy that has inherited an older wood stocked 835 from his father and he's had zero problems with it too.  I believe ALL pumps will have this problem if the operator doesn't push the slide hard enough forward to lock the bolt.  With that being said, I'll knock on wood and hope no problems develop. 

Spurs Up

Quote from: Bigeclipse on April 18, 2019, 01:43:50 PM

Never heard of or experienced that. Not saying it ain't so, just seems improbable without activating the action lock release.

Tom Foolery

I hunt with an 870 youth 20 gauge 99% of the time.  The other 1% is an old special purpose 870 20" barreled 12 gauge. 

If I thought I needed a 3.5" shell it's 835 all the way for me.  I used one for years until I decided I was over the 3.5" recoil. 

Spurs Up

Quote from: Tom Foolery on April 18, 2019, 09:33:14 PM
I hunt with an 870 youth 20 gauge 99% of the time.  The other 1% is an old special purpose 870 20" barreled 12 gauge. 

If I thought I needed a 3.5" shell it's 835 all the way for me.  I used one for years until I decided I was over the 3.5" recoil.

I'm no fan of excessive recoil myself. Keep in mind 2-3/4" and 3" shells with lighter payloads (think less shoulder thump) also shoot exceptionally well out of the 835's long chamber and over-bored barrel. It's those shells that have made me fall back in love with the 835 and leave the compact 20 ga 870 in the safe most days. The extra 1.5 lbs is no problem to carry but soaks up recoil relative to a 6 lb 20 ga. And, it's pattern is more consistent and manageable than those of my other 12's when shooting comparable shells.

dirt road ninja

birdhunterdave

835 is the better gun, without a doubt. Tough as nails and awesome patterns with the right choke/ load combo.