turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What in going on

Started by kbbgood, April 17, 2019, 12:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kbbgood

62 degrees t 7 this morning and not a peep in a place I know holds turkey. Scratches all over the place. I about wore my self out this morning and nothing.What do you guys say?

cphill

Sometimes they gobble sometimes they dont that is just how it goes ..some people say the pressure like high or low will make a difference ...could be they r henned up ...some of the best gobbling I have heard this year it was about 35 that morning and cloudy not a day u would think they would ..hang in there if birds r there they will get fired back up

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

tomstopper

I have seen it before where he had a bunch of hens with him around his roost and then at fly down, he waited for the hens to land first and then flew right down to them. Not once did he make a peep. Guess he figured why should speak when he had his hens already. No matter what I said to him, he didn't care.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

LaLongbeard

Just being turkeys. Every year on what should be a perfect gobbling morning total silence. Nothing on the roost no answer to calls nothing.
The main thing is don't bugger up the turkeys when there being quiet. When I've scouted  an area and I know Gobblers are around but not talking I leave them alone. I'll keep checking back and even park and just hold the spot so no one else goes in and messes them up. In a couple days or a week they will fire up you just have to be there when they do. I think a lot of people keep hammering an area with locator calls or running thru there whole  calling routine and stomp around the woods until they shut them down. When a Gobbler is covered up with hens and doesn't want to Gobble doesn't matter if you've won calling contests in 5 states and are half Crow you can't "make" a Gobbler do anything contrary to popular opinion. 
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

EZ

GobbleNut

As others have pointed out, sometimes, and for some unknown reason, gobblers just don't feel like gobbling on a given morning.  Some of that is related to the point in the breeding season they are at.  I also believe that gobblers respond to what the other gobblers in an area are doing.  If there is no active, gobbling tom in an area to start off the show, then it seems many of the other gobblers will just bide their time and be quiet.

However, get one of them going and quite often some of the others will join in.  On those mornings when it seems all gobblers are being quiet, I am going to try to be that gobbler that gets them going.  A tube call will make a very loud and pretty realistic gobble, and that is what I will use to try to get them going.  It doesn't work every time, but it works often enough to get some of the gobblers in an area started to at least have an idea of where they are and initiate a conversation.