OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 3.5 long beards  (Read 8910 times)

CrustyRusty

Re: 3.5 long beards
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2019, 07:50:44 PM »
I understand what you are saying, but unfortunately I was at my local range and there was a guy there who loads his own tss.  He had them marked with an 8, although he admitted they were actually 9’s and he wanted the extra pellets for the long range shots he likes to take.  I live in NY and told him what he was doing was illegal, and he looked at me like I had three heads.  He did not care.  I applaud you however for having enough integrity to not abuse it.

Sorry for the hijack OP. 

My 1.25 oz 12 gauge TSS handloads through the light mod choke of my O/U that I kill most of my turkeys with could not be considered a long range set-up. Not everyone that shoots TSS is a long range sniper, though certainly some are.

Offline Aurora Wild

• Aurora Wild
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2019, 02:17:37 PM »
I understand what you are saying, but unfortunately I was at my local range and there was a guy there who loads his own tss.  He had them marked with an 8, although he admitted they were actually 9’s and he wanted the extra pellets for the long range shots he likes to take.  I live in NY and told him what he was doing was illegal, and he looked at me like I had three heads.  He did not care.  I applaud you however for having enough integrity to not abuse it.

Sorry for the hijack OP. 

My 1.25 oz 12 gauge TSS handloads through the light mod choke of my O/U that I kill most of my turkeys with could not be considered a long range set-up. Not everyone that shoots TSS is a long range sniper, though certainly some are.
The fact that 9s are not legal for turkey here in NY doesnt seem to be slowing down the sales of it.  Must be a lot of people around here hunt out of state.

CrustyRusty

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2019, 05:43:40 PM »
I guess I must be doing something wrong, I’ve tagged out in three states this season and all I used was lead 6’s...

Sorry for the hijack OP. 

The fact that 9s are not legal for turkey here in NY doesnt seem to be slowing down the sales of it.  Must be a lot of people around here hunt out of state.

Offline Tom Foolery

• Longbeard
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2019, 08:08:37 AM »
Seriously, especially at the ranges we should be shooting turkeys.  Unfortunately, I see adds and read articles touting 60 yard shots and even posts where guys say they ‘accidentally’ misjudged the distance quite often.  I’m not arguing tss is a great advancement, but I do have concerns that it is promoted to be a long range tool and that it may be abused.

How did you kill them without using tss? :z-dizzy:
LOL its funny how many people think lead loads aren't capable of killing a turkey

I think it’s funny how guys shooting a 3.5” shell, for a better pattern at long range and shooting longbeards to get a better pattern at long range knock guys that shoot TSS because they shoot TSS to get a better pattern at long range.  Lol.

Read about a 69yd and 72yd kill with long beards here:  https://winchester.com/Blog/2016/05/longbeard-xr-the-ultimate-in-long-range-capabilities

Longbeards promoted as long range:  https://winchester.com/Products/Ammunition/Shotshell/Long-Beard-XR

It’s ok to shoot longbeards for some reason even though it’s marketed as a long range shell but it’s not ok for TSS.

People have been taking long shots way before TSS and longbeards came around.

I don’t even shoot TSS. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 08:18:54 AM by Tom Foolery »

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2019, 03:15:36 PM »
That's tighter than I like at 20Y but I bet your 40 is killer. Mine used to look similar and I went to a much more open choke and my 20Y is now much more forgiving and still awesome at 40.
I’d agree it’s too tight at 20. How much did your pattern open when you opened choke and what was constriction? Also are you still referring to 3-1/2”?
I won’t shoot longbeards because of the overly tight pattern. I have killed a few birds w it but playing the odds, a miss at close range is more likely than connecting at longer range. The supremes I typically use are discontinued. I bought a bunch of 3 and 3-1/2 for my main few turkey guns. Thinking about trying federal grand slam once I’m out but if I was able to open a longbeard that could also be an option

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2019, 03:29:37 PM »
I have never tried TSS so I won’t comment on that.I started turkey hunting in 2010 I went 3 years without getting a bird got my first one in 2013 my preference was to shoot a 3 1/2 12 gauge I wanted knock down power would have went with a 10 gauge if I had one.I understand why guys are going smaller gauges it’s like chevys and fords comes down to what you like and works for you.I have had the good fortune to harvest 8nice birds in last 6 years with my 3 1/2 #5 long beards knocked down with 1 shot most at 26 to 32 yards 1 at 40. So for me I’m not changing a thing ! Besides I am now 66 years old ,Way to hard to teach a old dog new tricks !!
Congratulations on your birds. Not trying to teach you new tricks but consider what I’m saying. 26-32 yards, almost any turkey load would work. Even to 40 many loads pattern well and are more forgivable up close where most shots including yours are.
Far as knock down power, Even 20 ga w lead will knock every bird straight down if they’re hit well. You don’t need a 3-1/2”. Myself I’ve hunted w one since about 90 and a 10ga before that. The 10 stinks to carry. Now I’ve gone back to 12 ga 3” w no noticeable difference.
Use what you like but if the gun gets too much down the road don’t think all is lost. I shoot straight lead, its all I’ve ever shot a bird with. Not one since mid 80s ever required a second shot. I’ll be honest never seen my kids 20s require a second shot either.
Use what you like and what works, just know if you ever need there are options.
Hope you don’t mind my saying so

Offline Pistole

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2019, 09:20:56 PM »
You are certainly entitled to your opinion ! I have now shot 11 long beards all with one shot.I’m not changing a thing!like I said chevys and fords do what works

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2019, 09:35:23 PM »
No one is telling you to change. Don’t even think that

Offline Pistole

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2019, 09:39:11 PM »
Don’t worry not gonna!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CrustyRusty

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2019, 07:54:14 AM »
I don’t believe anyone posting on this thread is condoning long shots, as a matter of fact the OP posted a pic at 20 yards and spoke about his shots on birds all being less than 40.  But physics don’t lie and the performance enhancements of tss over lead, any lead load is obvious, and the propensity for abusing it may be greater based upon that.

[/quote]

I think it’s funny how guys shooting a 3.5” shell, for a better pattern at long range and shooting longbeards to get a better pattern at long range knock guys that shoot TSS because they shoot TSS to get a better pattern at long range.  Lol.

Read about a 69yd and 72yd kill with long beards here:  https://winchester.com/Blog/2016/05/longbeard-xr-the-ultimate-in-long-range-capabilities

Longbeards promoted as long range:  https://winchester.com/Products/Ammunition/Shotshell/Long-Beard-XR

It’s ok to shoot longbeards for some reason even though it’s marketed as a long range shell but it’s not ok for TSS.

People have been taking long shots way before TSS and longbeards came around.

I don’t even shoot TSS.
[/quote]

Offline BrowningGuy88

• Longbeard
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2019, 12:14:21 PM »

What he said...

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2019, 04:46:50 PM »

Sorry for the hijack OP. 

Baiting is illegal too yet go to a store that sells it and it’s always selling. Kinda stinks to feel you have no ability to get an animal within range without cheating.  Must be terrible to be so bad at hunting??

Offline Tom Foolery

• Longbeard
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2019, 05:03:27 PM »
Seriously, especially at the ranges we should be shooting turkeys.  Unfortunately, I see adds and read articles touting 60 yard shots and even posts where guys say they ‘accidentally’ misjudged the distance quite often.  I’m not arguing tss is a great advancement, but I do have concerns that it is promoted to be a long range tool and that it may be abused.

LOL its funny how many people think lead loads aren't capable of killing a turkey
I don’t believe anyone posting on this thread is condoning long shots, as a matter of fact the OP posted a pic at 20 yards and spoke about his shots on birds all being less than 40.  But physics don’t lie and the performance enhancements of tss over lead, any lead load is obvious, and the propensity for abusing it may be greater based upon that.

[/quote]

You said TSS is promoted as long range and guys might abuse it.   Longbeards are marketed as longrange but I never see anyone making the same accusations as they do towards TSS.  I’m curious the difference. 

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2019, 05:42:25 PM »

You said TSS is promoted as long range and guys might abuse it.   Longbeards are marketed as longrange but I never see anyone making the same accusations as they do towards TSS.  I’m curious the difference.
[/quote]

There is no difference bud.

CrustyRusty

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2019, 06:32:24 PM »
I would agree that philosophically there is no difference,  but performance wise there is quite a big difference.

[/quote]