OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Tagged out in Florida, Long, long, read  (Read 3165 times)

Offline roberthyman14

Tagged out in Florida, Long, long, read
« on: April 16, 2019, 07:46:57 PM »
Birds have been tough to locate this season. Lots of pressure on them. Slipped out Saturday morning, went to an area that traditionally has birds this part of the season.  Got down the old road to a perfect listening spot, 4 roost locations within a few hundred yards of my location.  Waited till nature woke up on its own. Owls hooting everywhere and not a gobble heard, then the crows start, still no gobbles.  I begin walking the road slowly listening for and type of turkey sounds.  Nothing. In the sand I see a good set of tracks so I circle the bowl and setup. I begin soft calling just knowing he's gonna shake the trees in front of me.  NOTHING. Give it 20 minutes and a pick up and begin moving towards the creek, usually turkey sign all over this section.  Few tracks crossing into the section behind me. Ease up the road with some more soft calling. Again nothing. About the time I make it back to the original spot I spook a bird off roost, I get the chance to watch him fly out of my area code. Big beard hanging as he's gone.  Well that's turkey hunting sometimes. Or is it. As he flew off in a totally different direction a dog starts barking behind me, bam a different bird gobbles, I'm back in buisness.  I setup a give him a call sequence. He hammers back at me.  I go quiet mode. He hammers on his own every few minutes for the next 30 minutes. His location stays the same the whole time.  Few hundred yards away across some thick junk.  I move in on him each time he lets me know where he is. Took me 30 minutes to move 65 yards. Finally I'm in a good spot where I can see and get a shot.  I begin another little sequence. He hammers again, but this time he's beginning to move away, I her a few hens with him.  He won't respond to my yelps but each time I cutt he fires back up but continued moving out. After an hour of this he's gone.  I back out and go to the truck to give him time and re enter from a different angle.  Of course nothing comes of it, he's moved to private, so I call it a day. Skip Sunday do to the bad weather we had coming in. I call my boss and tell him I'm gonna be late Monday,  Monday morning I slip in early to the area he was gobbling on Saturday.  Don't hear a single thing but, did call a hen to me. Gave her plenty of time to clear the area and slipped out to go to work.  On the way out I checked another area, usually full of hunters, this time nobody was there. Fresh tire tracks from someone driving in just a few hours before.  I look around and see fresh sign every where.  I head to work.  End of yesterday I tell boss I'm gonna be late everyday this week as it's the last week for us.  I get up early this morning and head back to the same spot as Saturday. I know he's in there just gotta get him to slip up.  As the woods awaken birds begin gobbling in every direction, except.... you guessed it. In front of me.  I call a few times just to try and fire him up, no response. Walking to my truck to chase a distant gobble I begin hearing a hen yelping and cutting.  I quickly get setup and get into a fight with her. Lasts a good 5 minutes. But she gives up and turns back to the creek, I was hoping he was with her.  Get to the next spot and I can hear a bird hammering everytime a crow cawwed. I hustle and setup, call to him and he hammers. But he's a good piece off. I grab my crap and take off for him, as I round the corner and get prepared to setup a bird gobbles from behind.  Time to switch setups. I set Matilda up in the road and begin a sequence. He hammers repeatedly.  Knowing these birds have been pressured really bad I ease the call away.  He hammers at every crow, blue Jay, woodpecker and anything else that made noise. I can tell he is just wandering back and forth not closing the distance. So after 30 minutes of that I pull out and mouth call and pot call.  Figure go for gold and rip on both of them.  He cuts me off with multiple gobbles.  I go silent except some leaf scratching and purrs.   He gobbles every couple minutes but never closes the distance.  30 more minutes then he goes silent. Figure he's on his way, nope 20 minutes and a crow caws and he gobbles..... yup in the same spot he's been.  Time to get aggressive. I grab my crap and close 100 yard gap.  I rip my mouth call and he is fired up again.  I back up in a hurry and just sit down in a shady spot.  Call to him again, bam he hammers and this time he's coming.  5 minutes and I see his white head come over the burm in the field. He comes in looking for love and begins to get weary that nothing is in this field type spot. I decide to give him a headache.  53 steps with TSS handloads from a good friend and he folds like a taco.  Game, set, match I won this time.
Killed my first bird early this season with the help of a good friend after many failed seasons.  This morning I had no help and did what I know to do and killed my first bird by myself.  Tagged out on the season and couldn't be any happier. 9 3/4" beard, 3/4" spurs 17lbs 13oz. Pretty dang goid public land bird that is highly pressured.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Offline Spurs Up

Re: Tagged out in Florida, Long, long, read
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 08:29:00 PM »
 :happy0064:  Congrats!  You earned that one. Fiocchi 3” 2-oz loads are the bomb.

Offline ssettle

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 08:40:43 PM »
Great story always good when things come together.

Offline Southerngobbler

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 08:51:16 PM »
Good story. I'm in the county to the east of you. Good thing you tagged out. Only a few days left.

Offline BKnisley

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 08:52:53 PM »
Heck of a hunt Rob! Way to stick with it!

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 10:14:36 PM »
Very nice job. Congrats

Offline espo16

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 01:30:23 AM »
Wonder where you got them calls from... and the shells.... lol.... well done good buddy... glad you got him dead!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline joey46

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 04:16:16 AM »
Congrats!  Nice bird.  Counting today six days left in FL.

Offline boomer

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 07:51:41 AM »
Congrats

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline ILHUNTER

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 09:42:27 AM »
Congrats, way to stay after him, you earned him.

Offline kyturkeyhunter4

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 10:33:25 AM »
Congrats

Offline Wrangler95

• Longbeard
  • Middle Tennessee
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 10:39:49 AM »
Very nice gobbler,congrats!!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

Offline POk3s

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 10:43:58 AM »
Awesome job! Way to stick with it and kill one of those hard headed Florida birds!

Also, congratulations on having a job that lets you show up late every day! Hahaha!

Offline Muzzy61

• Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2019, 01:01:41 PM »
Congrats!
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 03:40:15 PM »
Way to stick with it!! Congrats!! :icon_thumright: