OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Sleeping in the woods?  (Read 6317 times)

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: Sleeping in the woods?
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2019, 11:47:27 AM »
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ uh hughh waht

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2019, 12:18:02 PM »
Best way I know how to use the ole shut up tactic. Otherwise I can't seem to keep the calls out of my hands.
Ticks are scary though so Sawyers is on the clothes.

Offline blake_08

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2019, 11:49:46 AM »
I sleep when I'm turkey hunting and Deer hunting (on the ground of course). I love to find a nice little incline and put my head up hill and sleep for awhile. As far as the tick thing goes, if your wearing a light jacket with a hood or leafy suit with a hood, just put your hood up and nap away. If your upper garment don't have a hood just lay your head on the softest part of your turkey vest. That's what i usually do.

Offline edward.penny

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2019, 08:59:55 PM »
Seems like I'm always sleeping in the woods.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk

Offline Delmar ODonnell

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2019, 03:47:51 PM »
A nap in the deer and turkey woods is the most relaxing sleep you can get. For some reason I never go out cold, but its always a nice light sleep where I can wake up to sudden sounds or in 5 minutes intervals. A few years ago I opened my eyes after napping in the stand and had 4 racked bucks at 5 yards. Naps help you sit still  ;)

Offline shaman

• Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2019, 04:28:59 PM »
I don't worry about ticks too much.  It's usually been so cold leading up to The Opener that I hardly ever get one.  Occasionally, I'll get a turkey mite or two in the last week of season.

I have no qualms about taking a nap while turkey hunting.  My favorite time to sleep is in the 8 O'clock hour.  By then all of the flydown hubbub has ended, and any action that is going to come of it has already transpired.  Around 9, I'll often hear gobbling again, and if I don't I'll still blind call and see what I can shake up.  8-9 is always time for either napping or reading a book.

Another time I like to take a nap is in the middle of the afternoon.  I'll go somewhere like one of my old barns, and call like the dickens for while, and then go quiet and settle in for nap.  When I wake up, I'll call again, and often get answer from a gob that's been working his way to me over the previous hour.  Wash, rinse, repeat.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Offline stinkpickle

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • "Milk was a bad choice!"
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2019, 07:06:49 PM »
Sleeping is the only way I sit still.  I lost contact with a bird yesterday right after flydown, so I decided to snooze (actually, the warm sunlight decided for me).  His drumming right beside me woke me up quick!  BOOM!

As for ticks, I spray my clothes down with Sawyers and don't worry about it.

Offline jblackburn

• Paintbrush Beard
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2019, 07:24:26 PM »
Turkey naps are the best naps
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Offline Bullet1

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2019, 07:36:13 PM »
Nothing like a nap in the turkey woods.

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2019, 10:23:26 PM »
I've fallen asleep in the turkey woods, but admittedly, not too often.  My young daughter has caught a nap the past two times out with me.

Last year, at 7 years old, she tagged along, and she became quite adept at using a box call.  She asked if she could take a nap whilst I chased a bird down the canyon, and I agreed.

After about 1/2 hour, I start hearing a hen yelping above me, before I realized it was my daughter.  She was smart enough to use a hen call to get my attention rather than yelling down at me "DADDY, I'M AWAKE NOW!"  We ended up killing a nice tom on the walk back (her calling actually drummed up a gobble).

Not sure that being awake would deter ticks though?  I rarely have been aware when one gets on me until I get home...  Hopefully not attached yet, but I have pulled a few out.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.